carb -> EFI conversion

Guest nevarmore

Guest nevarmore

On page 78 of the latest jegs catalog holley offers 4bbl to EFI conversion kits. Im liking the idea of converting my lincoln (430cui MEL v8) to an EFI system from its current 750cfm Edelbrock 4bbl (#1407).

The basic 950 Commander looks good because it doesnt require an EFI manifold (PITA to find for my engine) or the weld in bungs (heh bung) as with the MPI Commander. Nor, do i really need the 1000cfm from the MPI rig. Does the bastardized carb from this type of kit work as well as a standard EFI system?

The relevant part numbers are:

510-950-245 for the basic

510-534-183 for the MPI kit

Im hoping to have an entirely new exhaust system done this summer from the heads to the tips, would i need any other supporting mods? Has anyone done this conversion? Is it worth saving for? What about the possibility of using nitrous with this kit?

Jon, there's no doubting the novility of it, but beond that...why? You know ol Liz needs a rebuild, deffinatly needs at least one new exhaust manifold. For $1400 you could rebuild the engine, and have some flanges made so'ze we can make some headers. After that, you should be able to put the spray to it.

actualy, for $1400, you could get realy creative and snatch an Intech 4.6/wiring and tranny out of a junker Mark VIII and throw it in. You could run the same program, and then toss mods on it. A supercharger will bring you back up to 380 hp at half the weight. However, the 4.6 and 5.4 DOHC modulars are the widest motor ford has ever made, so fitment would suck. Hell, check this , take the motor and tranny, and make the rest into a fish tank or furnature or somthing.

My advice, rebuild the 430. Do some reaserch, find out what pistons and rods you can stuff in it. If FoMoCo 460 pistons/rods/crank will fit, fuckin sweet. You can use studs, and aftermarket parts and build a tough bottom end, then spray it later. Wouldnt go over 11:1 though, gas gets pricey. Good thing about this build is, you can retain the nostalgia of it, hide the N2o shit, and still win shows.

also, look into your transmissions durability. :D

[ 24 October 2002, 01:53 AM: Message edited by: BlackBird ]

wrong there is a guy on V8buick.com running efi with twin turbos on his 455 and its very streetable over 700ftlbs of torque efi is only as good as you tune it it can run good or like a turd on anything large displace just costs more cuae you get into injectors over 100# ratings