3000GT owners

Guest njbargar

Guest njbargar
Anybody know how much oil is in the 3.0 DoHC Non-turbo in the 3000gt's? Car is sitting empty and I can't find my owner's manual. I am also replacing the oil filter, I know that makes a difference also.

Guest njbargar

Found my manual, it 4.5quarts. I do have a new question, anybody know if engine treatment (Slick 50) also increases your oil pressure? It thickens the oil so I assume that is the cause on pressure. Just want to be sure. Otherwise, I have to drain a few ounces to be safe. Also, if any of the 3000GT owners can tell me where there pressure normally moves within.

-Sorry for all the questions, but hey I'm trying.

Slick 50 is not something that you should put in any engine, IMO. The FTC has already nailed them for bogus claims, and Dupont has stated that Teflon (PTFE) is not intended for use in an internal combustion engine.

For oil, all you need is a good quality synthetic (eg: Mobil One) of the manufacturer recommended viscosity and frequent oil and filter changes.

Guest njbargar
Thanks for the info, but it's a little too late. The Slick 50 engine treatment goes in with the oil and it thickens the oil to reduce noises and keep gaskets from detiorating. At least that what it says. I use it once a year and it hasn't hurt it in the past four years. But if their products are useless then it hasn't helped either. Still, if any 3000gt owners can tell me where there oil pressure usually is on the guage it would be greatly appreciated because I've never compared it to another 3000gt and mine is just slightly higher than before. And before anybody asks, NO my oil wasn't low before the change.

Slick 50, or any oil additives using PTFE (Teflon) are a very very bad idea, they have the potential to cause more damage then good, especially considering they don't do any good. Did you know that PTFE is in fact a solid substance? It does not stick to any internal engine parts, "smoothing out the surfaces" as some have claimed. In fact, it is now placing small solid particles in the thin film layer of oil that your engine uses for lubrication of close tolerance parts.

So now when you shut your car off, you have a bunch of small solid particles settling in your oil pan and clogging up your oil filter and oil passages. Did it by chance say "shake well" on your bottle? Only about half of the ones using PTFE even use small enough particles that they don't settle out immediately after the engine is shut off, they still settle, just not as quickly. That may be why you noticed a slight oil pressure increase, due to decreased oil passage cross sectional area from all the nice PTFE you have in your passages now.

Originally posted by SLW94TSI:

I have always felt that running synthetic on a mile motor isn't always the best thing to do. I use a synthetic blend religiously. My motor only has about 12,000 miles on it if that.

Yeah, that's true. An engine that has high mileage may leak oil at the gaskets or valve seals with synthetic. I run it anyway, because I like knowing that the turbo bearings aren't going to get coked up, but it leaks past my exhaust valve seals like crazy. :(