Roters?

Guest turbojc

Guest turbojc

Can enyone tell me witch is better? Sloted, or cross drilled brake roters? :confused: My roters on the Stealth have those funny colers that steel gets when it's repedaly heated to 1500 degres. :eek: So I need to know witch is the best for all around use.

Eny tecnical insight would be apreshated.

You need to make some kind of cooling ducts for your brakes. Slots and drilling are primarily to help the pad with outgassing, which really isn't a problem with modern brake compounds. They don't do a whole lot for cooling the rotor, and actually give you less metal to hold heat.

If you do chose to go with slotted or drilled brakes, sick with slots. I'm not a big fan of drilling. Make sure the slots were cast in place and not machined into a normal disk. Any good performance brand should do that (e.g. Brembo). There's metalurgial reasons for that, having to do with the flow of the grain pattern in the metal. A cut in the rotor face creates weak spots that can form cracks over repeated heat cycling.

Originally posted by TANK:

i wish u guys knew what u were talking about..im not about to get into a pissing match with u all

:confused:

Mark's post pretty much seems to cover it to me.

[ 01 November 2002, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Renner ]

Originally posted by turbojc:

Can enyone tell me witch is better? Sloted, or cross drilled brake roters? :confused: My roters on the Stealth have those funny colers that steel gets when it's repedaly heated to 1500 degres. :eek: So I need to know witch is the best for all around use.

Eny tecnical insight would be apreshated.

I have x-drilled, and I think I warped them ever so slightly. Pretty bad if you ask me since they were about $200. I think if I had to do it over again I would get brembo blanks with some good pads.

Dont get me wrong, x-drilled are great if they dont warp or crack. Stop on a dime with very little brake fade.

Guest badmuthrfkr

yea cross drilled sux...so does porshe :rolleyes:

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Do you have any clue as to how Brembo makes the cross drilled rotors for Porsche?

as long as u get an aftermarket rotor that has been drilled right!!! ie not in through the fins u will not see ne cracking "on the street"..race cars will go through a set of them a season..because of the super extreme heats made, of course by "racing" . slots where put into act to remove gases produced by the brake pad. modern brake pads make almost 0 gases, therefor deleating the use for a slot...what i trying to say here, is people that refuse to change their belifs to nething else but what they learned 15 years ago..will not make it...we all know how technology is changin every min..better and better products with new advanced materals are being made everyday...seiously take a second to see what all the car companys use on their cars oem...look at scca racing...it all makes perfect sence..most people will not make enuf brakeing on the street to crack a set of c/d's...my two cents on this one..not trying to get into a pissing match with u old school guys...everyone does what they belive in..just think about it..it all makes perfect sence, to me atleast..i am open to all but sensible comments..most bikes have c/ds also but i dont count that as for the "open to the air" design..ie cools of rather quick

[ 03 November 2002, 12:41 PM: Message edited by: TANK ]

Guest turbojc

They might generate that much heat. I've actuly had the stockers glowing before. Remember; my car weighs 3800 lbs before driver. And slowing all that weight from 100+ generates alought of heat. I realy like the cross drilds, but will

I have a problem with cracking?

Guest badmuthrfkr

If you drive and brake to the point where your rotors are glowing red, however the hell you could see that, you need to upgrade to a bigger brake kit, not some drilled rotors.

And if you pop on some regular stock sized x-drilled rotors, and get them glowing red, they will probably crack if you get them wet.

Guest turbojc

That doesn't happen verry offten, but has happened

to me. 150mph, see trafic -70mph = some damn hot brakes. The way I know that they got red wonce is by a frend that was beside me. They rarly get that hot. This winter I'm putting new braded lines, pads, and some better rotors. I think I'll try cross drilleds on just the frount to see how they work out. Thanks for all the imput! smile.gif

as long as u get an aftermarket rotor that has been drilled right!!! ie not in through the fins u will not see ne cracking "on the street"..race cars will go through a set of them a season..because of the super extreme heats made, of course by "racing" . slots where put into act to remove gases produced by the brake pad. modern brake pads make almost 0 gases, therefor deleating the use for a slot...what i trying to say here, is people that refuse to change their belifs to nething else but what they learned 15 years ago..will not make it...we all know how technology is changin every min..better and better products with new advanced materals are being made everyday...seiously take a second to see what all the car companys use on their cars oem...look at scca racing...it all makes perfect sence..most people will not make enuf brakeing on the street to crack a set of c/d's...my two cents on this one..not trying to get into a pissing match with u old school guys...everyone does what they belive in..just think about it..it all makes perfect sence, to me atleast..i am open to all but sensible comments..most bikes have c/ds also but i dont count that as for the "open to the air" design..ie cools of rather quick

if you have ever ben to a scca race you would see all the larger class cars using cross vented rotors with 4- 8 pot calipers oh and all the Porsche teams in the american LeMans series use factory brake parts. May be THAT'S why they always fall be hind the Audi's it those shitty brakes. graemlins/fruit.gif

upgrade to a larger dia. solid rotor more contact friction area and the more metal you have the more heat you can disapate. The inlet venting is step one though. :D

[ 05 November 2002, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: powers ]

Originally posted by powers:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by TANK:

yea cross drilled sux...so does porshe :rolleyes:

Those who are unlabe to SPELL PORSCHE usually don't own one, ever have or will in the future.</font>yea yea funny...

I will never be able to afford a vw pass-it..u dont know me,how do u know what ive owned, or what i mite buy next???