Pinging and squealing

Guest nevarmore

Guest nevarmore

My 87 Park Ave is pinging (sounds like a heat shield is loose) and sqealing (metal scraping on metal). This noise changes frequency with engine speed. It does not change when the car goes faster, during turns, or over bumps, leading me to think that its internal and not something simple like a loose shield or losse exhaust components. I have a loss of power at low revs especially when starting from a stop. I have instpected as best I can for a loose exhuast or other loose parts.

I pulled codes and got a 'knock sensor fault', code 43 IIRC. Off to AutoZone to replace the knock sensor. After taking the MAF and cone filter off I found that GM had decided to bury the knock sensor UNDER the TB, forcing me to buy a wrench instead of using my socket set. Damn thier engineers. Anyhow, I got the old one out, and the new one tightened in. It had some threadlock on the threads already and I tightened it down until the wrench slipped off the soft housing instead of turning the sensor.

I have also put in a 1/4 tank of 92 octane on top of the 1/4 tank of 87 I had in it. Figuring that if it was a knock, higher octane gasoline may help.

I have also checked the serpentine belt for damage. I suspect that the pulleys may be slipping or thier bearings may need lubed. I'm going to hit them with some WD-40 before I leave for class tomorrow. The car has also stalled three times when making slow speed sharp turns to get into my parking space at my apartment and at work, I suspect an issue with the power steering pump. My sources agree that a sticky acessory combined with the newer (2 months) belt I have may bind enough to lag the engine.

Questions:

1. Do I need to reset the computer after replacing the knock sensor?

2. How do I tell if the engine is actually knocking?

3. Would a fault in one of the belt driven accessories or its pulley cause this kind of noise?

4. I have about 300 miles of driving to do this weekend for a rally, will my car last through a day of driving?

Thanks for your help.