sticky tripodometer

Guest nevarmore

Guest nevarmore

Hey, my buicks tripodometer rarely resets and runs after I hit the button. It will roll back and reset to 000.0, but it wont start recording mileage after that. Yes, the regular odometer and speedo are working fine. Any ideas? I was thinking about shooting some WD-40 up where the button is, but I wanted to make sure that wouldn't cause problems with the regular odometer. The people at LesabreT.com are saying its electronic and not mechanical, it has a sender and reciever instead of a cable.

Thanks for any ideas. Theres a rally this weekend and having the tripodometer working helps a lot. (Try adding 95864.4 and 1.7 while reading course notes and watching for signs).

Originally posted by Nevarmore:

The people at LesabreT.com are saying its electronic and not mechanical, it has a sender and reciever instead of a cable.

I guess you've never had the instrument cluster out before? Have you tried pulling up/out on the reset button? Sometimes it won't come all the way out. DON'T SPRAY STUFF IN THERE! There are a lot of very small, light wires in there that could be damaged. If you take out the instrument cluster, check out out the electrical grid on the back. Any breaks in the plastic wiring could be the problem and you might be able to fixed by soldering. Let me know if you find anything out... Got a kind of sticky odo button on my truck.