thoughts on a toyota 5 speed transmission

copperhead

This summer, I'm hopefully going to be dropping the tranny out of my truck (see sig). It will be getting a new clutch, most likely a Centerforce Gold, short throw shifter, either from E.L. Prototypes or from L.C. Engineering, I haven't looked into the differences yet. I don't know what to do about the flywheel, should I try to get it resurfaced, or should i look into a performance flywheel? I don't want a lightweight flywheel, from what i've heard, road driving around ohio would be horrible.

Now, as for the internals...

I'm going to replace the synchros, dropping into gear just doesnt feel right. Is a synchro a synchro, or is it possible to get "performance" synchros? And either way, are they expensive? Also, can I get stronger gears, or should I be fine with what is in there? I'm hoping that this tranny with withstand a couple hundred horse, as i'm planning on doing some wicked mods to this truck once i'm done with school.

any other suggestions are always welcome

thanks

as far as toyota tranny's go....i think they're great. mine, out of the tercel (3ee 1.5L 12V) is made to withstand up to 250 HP. I know many people who have gone through EL, as a matter of fact somestimes Eric himself will drop in and say hi (on another site). They do good work. As for your flywheel, I believe you can get a lighter upgrade through EL. if not go to www.diboliqueracing.com and as Mike. He mainly works on tercel's but he will know where you can get one im sure. also if you go to www.back-yard-productions.com talk to Trevvor. the guy secializes in toyotas. you ever go to www.taco.com. I know theres a bigger and better tacoma site too. I just forget what it is. smile.gif ill try to find out for ya.

i believe you are thinking about custom tacos. I used to frequent that website, but very few of the people there have any real technical knowledge, they usually just go around asking the same stupid questions over and over. I basically gave up on them when I found this site. :D

One thing that I did notice on that site is a few people were complaining that the tacoma 5 speed tranny wasn't built nearly as well as the older toyota trannies were, and that some of the people were actually replacing them already. When I bought my tacoma, it had 50,000 miles on it, and already had a little bit of trouble going into 3rd gear. So, I would rather put some work into it now, at 77,000 miles, than replace the whole thing in a few years.

A good friend of mine is Todd Wilt. As far as I know, there is no one in the country better at customizing toyotas better than he.

Call his shop, 317-823-0809.Tell him you know Nick and Greg in cols.....