Cyl Head Problem

Crash1647545504

well james (ohiosiguy) bought a 91 civic afew days ago and it burns antifreez like no other. well i talked to my dad and he said it could be a number of things head gasket, cracked head, cracked block. knowing the gasket had just been replaced and hoping the block wasnt the prob. we went to the junkyard and pulled a cyl head.

now when we finaly got the junkyard head apart it look like that motor had juts burnt oil to all hell. right now i have the head soaking in my solvent tank ill probably leave it there for a day hoping it will make it easyer to get some of the burnt oil off. the only thing is, i dont know what i can use to get the burnt oil outa all the small ports? what should i use to do this with out fucking the ports up or grinding the walls?

Guest nevarmore

Try an engine cleaner like Simple Green or straight up gasoline/alkie/carb cleaner.

Someone verify this before he fucks up a head: IF you want something a little less harsh .Try something like scrubbing bubbles or dawn, they both have a degreasing agent that should work. I've used it to clean some tarish oilish mystery goo off of the Lincoln

if you want to do it right get the head hot tanked and blasted at a machine shop. then have it checked for cracks/warpage for that extra saftey measure

well we (me and my parents) own a mechine shop. actualy i got moste of it off after i let it soke in the tank now im workin on getting that very bottom layer and ill be bale to check for cracks exetera(sp).