throttle linkage conversion

Guest nevarmore

Guest nevarmore

ok this is for my 65 lincoln, which will hopefully show up at a CR meet next weekend if nothing else breaks.

right now there is a linkage between the gas pedal and carb consisting of a cable thru the firewall pulling on throttle, to a lever changing the direction to a downward pull on a rod, then up to the top where there is another lever (with the throttle return spring) that pulls another rod which finally pulls on the carb.

can i just throw a cable in from the pedal on up to that last lever (the one with the return spring) or is there more that i need to do to convert this to a cable system?

im doing this because the linkage keeps sticking and is difficult to clean and probably more difficult to replace and readjust. a cable is a muck simpler operation with fewer moving parts and a much easier cleaning procedure.

id really appreciate any ideas you have. thanks in advance.

First off, put a strap on the pedal, so when ouy moving it around, you can pull up on the pedal and leave the garage walls in peace, not peices :D

Second, a question like that realy cant be answered (by me at least) unless the car is here to poke and prod. Anyone local have a 65 lincoln with a 430 and an Edelbrok 750?

Originally posted by BlackBird:

haha nevarmore, I posted first. :D

Evidently his 3 speed tranny actualy has downshift lever afixed to the throttly cable. Bollocks. Wonder what the carb has in the way of secondaries,it is a Performer series.

That's called a TV cable. There should be a spot on the linkage of the carb for it to bolt on.

Guest nevarmore

talked to kenny. i think ive got it worked out now. someone try and find any faults in my plan.

cable from pedal to carb

from the lever on the carb to another cable

that cable goes to the kickdown on the transmission

of course ill be fabbing up the appropriate brackets and using cable connectiors and what not as needed.

• 2 weeks later...