5.0 Questions

KlubFoot

Ok... I have a few questions..

1) Since ive been researching online about my Mustang, I've realized that in 93 the pistons are different then in the other foxbodys. The hyperpeutic material is said to break down a lot quicker then the pistons in pre 93 cars... my question to you guys is, when is too much for these pistons? What temp. do they begin to melt and at what HP level do they absolutely need to be replaced?

2) Since I'm pretty new to the domestic side of things, and don't know too much about cars all together, I need some help selecting a few parts. I am looking to pick up a set of heads but dont know the advantages of the different sets out there. I know I can pick up GT40 iron heads for about 500 beans and I also know they weigh about 20 lbs more then an aluminum set, but what other advantages do aluminum heads have? What are they best heads out on the market at the moment? Do most of the heads for sale come complete, or bare? If they come bare, what all do I need to buy to complete them? I have a basic idea, but if I could get a complete list from someone who really knows what they're doing that would be great.

3) As far as cams go... what do I want to look for in the #'s? I know I need a cam that will be streetable and leave me with a decent idle, but that's pretty much all I know.

4)Is there a certain way you are supossed to match up heads, cams, intakes, etc? Or do you just find out from some good ol fasion R&D? If there is a special way to match up, could someone please explain?

5)When do I need to upgrade fuel and ignition? How much fuel is too much, and which ignition systems should I check out?

6)What type of fuel management and engine control units are out there for the fox bodys? Im used to Apex S-AFC's and DSM link's and the likes... haven't heard too much for the 5.0's.

7)Last but not least, with questions 1-6 in mind, I plan on turboing the Stang in the future and would like everything I do up untill that point to be able to compliment some boost nicely. I know I probably should've put this first, but If you read this far I know you're probably really interested in helpin me out!

Sorry for the long post and any info you guys can throw at me would help me tremendously! This is my first real domestic project and I'm getting head over heels excited and I'm trying to learn as much as I possibly can! Thanks!

Originally posted by SlowMotion:

1) Since ive been researching online about my Mustang, I've realized that in 93 the pistons are different then in the other foxbodys. The hyperpeutic material is said to break down a lot quicker then the pistons in pre 93 cars... my question to you guys is, when is too much for these pistons? What temp. do they begin to melt and at what HP level do they absolutely need to be replaced?

2) Since I'm pretty new to the domestic side of things, and don't know too much about cars all together, I need some help selecting a few parts. I am looking to pick up a set of heads but dont know the advantages of the different sets out there. I know I can pick up GT40 iron heads for about 500 beans and I also know they weigh about 20 lbs more then an aluminum set, but what other advantages do aluminum heads have? What are they best heads out on the market at the moment? Do most of the heads for sale come complete, or bare? If they come bare, what all do I need to buy to complete them? I have a basic idea, but if I could get a complete list from someone who really knows what they're doing that would be great.

3) As far as cams go... what do I want to look for in the #'s? I know I need a cam that will be streetable and leave me with a decent idle, but that's pretty much all I know.

4)Is there a certain way you are supossed to match up heads, cams, intakes, etc? Or do you just find out from some good ol fasion R&D? If there is a special way to match up, could someone please explain?

5)When do I need to upgrade fuel and ignition? How much fuel is too much, and which ignition systems should I check out?

6)What type of fuel management and engine control units are out there for the fox bodys? Im used to Apex S-AFC's and DSM link's and the likes... haven't heard too much for the 5.0's.

7)Last but not least, with questions 1-6 in mind, I plan on turboing the Stang in the future and would like everything I do up untill that point to be able to compliment some boost nicely. I know I probably should've put this first, but If you read this far I know you're probably really interested in helpin me out!

Sorry for the long post and any info you guys can throw at me would help me tremendously! This is my first real domestic project and I'm getting head over heels excited and I'm trying to learn as much as I possibly can! Thanks!

You have PM :D

when i had my 93, i ran out of antifreeze in the car due to a water pump going out on me, beat the shit outta the car at max temp for bout 15 minutes of back road driving, never hurt it, but if ur going to boost the car, u definitly need to take out those pistons and throw them in the trash can

Guest MustangBlade

[QB] Ok... I have a few questions..

1) Yes, 93-95 Mustangs use cast pistons. If you're planning on somekinda unnatural induction, you should change them. The rods are forged from the factory, so they're good, just upgrade the rod bolts. If you're just going for bolt ons, leave the pistons alone. The cast pistons get expand faster with the engine running so you get better ring seal

2) If you're on a budget, GT-40ps are the way to go, they can be had for around $300 a set if you care to shop around. The best heads would be a set of TrickFlows, Edelbrock Performers, or a set of AFRs. The lastest issue of Muscle Mustangs as well as the last few issues have had the ultimate cylinder head shootout. You can get any of the heads fully assembled.

3) Wait a while for the cam. A cam on an otherwise stock motor is pretty much useless, plus changing them isn't much fun. Wait untill you get some money into your combo, then call some of the cam grinders, give your combo in detail and they'll maximise it with a proper cam either off the shelf or custom if you have the money.

4)Actually, no, there are thousands of combos out. You're only limited by your budget! Some ones to check out would be a the Edelbrock kit which includes an intake, heads, cam and stuff. You can also get similar kits from Holley and Trickflow

5)Stock fuel pump is ample for a stock or mildly modified car, but when it gives up the ghost install a Walbro 190 or 255 and never worry about the fuel system again. The stock fuel lines are good up to about 600 hp. The only thing you may need is an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

6)The stock computer is fairly good in regards to adjusting to your mods, but a chip or a tuner would be good. I've heard good things about the Tweecer computer tuners.

7)If you're planning for boost, I'd buy a spare block for a core and slowly build up the bottom end for boost like aftermarket rods and pistons, waveloc bolts, and a stud girdle to keep it all together should the block let go. If you want to make it fast in the mean time, put the cool stuff on the stock motor, when it comes time to go forced, yank that motor, swap everything onto the new bottom end and your good to go!