help rebuild my turbo

Guest Pimpin' the Jag

Guest Pimpin' the Jag
I just bought an Rx-7 and I took it over to brians house and had him look at it since i know barely anything about the car. He thinks the turbo may be bad b/c there is oil on it or around it. But i wanted to know if anyone here could rebild the turbo or knew someone that would do it for cheap. email me at senate280@aol.com or send me a private message. thanks

Guest relvinnian

Not many people know jack about RX-7s, yet you listen to someone who just got one. :confused:

No offense to anyone here.

Couple questions: Is there oil in your intercooler? Does it smoke? If so, does it smoke at idle, on boost, or on deceleration, and to what degree?

Having oil around the turbo is a poor diagnosis if there aren't any other symptoms. It's probably something easy.

Guest Pimpin' the Jag
Found out one of the problems. The compression of the engine is pretty low. The turbo is fine, but there seems to be a leak in one of the hoses.

The amount of shaft play on the turbo is a much better indicator of it's condition than oil being in the inlet. If you end up needing the turbo rebuilt, I recommend sending it to a reputable shop that can balance it, as a turbo can spin anywhere from 75,000- 100,000+ RPM. Having it out of balance by only replacing the seals + bearings will just make it wear out sooner. Look up Majestic Turbo on google.com, they are a pretty good shop.

Guest relvinnian
Originally posted by bigbabyjesus:

The amount of shaft play on the turbo is a much better indicator of it's condition than oil being in the inlet. If you end up needing the turbo rebuilt, I recommend sending it to a reputable shop that can balance it, as a turbo can spin anywhere from 75,000- 100,000+ RPM. Having it out of balance by only replacing the seals + bearings will just make it wear out sooner. Look up Majestic Turbo on google.com, they are a pretty good shop.

Oil = seal failure.

Shaft play = bearing failure.

Completely separate issue fuck face.

BTW, I heard Majestic Turbo sucks ass.

Originally posted by relvinnian:

Oil = seal failure.

Shaft play = bearing failure.

Completely separate issue fuck face.

BTW, I heard Majestic Turbo sucks ass.

For the slow kids in the class, I was commenting on the best way to check the condition of his turbo. I was not trying to diagnoss his oil leak. I have a friend that had his turbo rebuilt at Maejestic and it seems to be holding up just fine.

As far as your other comment, it just shows how truly pathetic your little ego is, to feel the need to make a derogatory comment towards me for trying to help someone out. I guess when you don't have the balls to confront people in real life you might have some pent up aggression that you need to relieve on a message board. Pathetic. graemlins/gay.gifgraemlins/fruit.gifgraemlins/asshole.gif

Originally posted by relvinnian:

LOL.

I was drunk and had a very bad day when I posted that.

Sorry, I appreciate what you have to say on this forum. smile.gif

Well I appreciate and accept your apology. It isn't often when someone has the backbone to do so. For that, I salute you! smile.gif