Case of The Missing Oil

Guest nevarmore

Guest nevarmore

Changed the oil today (only 1500 miles or so after it SHOULD have been done). I let it all drain out, spun the filter off and emptied it. I spun a new filter on, and added about 4 and half quarts. Fired the car up to let the filter fill and make sure everything gets a bit warm before checking again. While waiting on that I poured the old oil into a jug to take to AutoZone for recycling/displosal. The 1 gallon jug was MAYBE 2/3 full. There are 4 quarts to a gallon and I put in 4 1/2 quarts, so where are the extra 2 quarts of oil???????

I don't think the oil was running that low, I check it regularly and the idiot light should have come on if it was that low. If it matters I do use those shitty Fram filters, its a beater and the grippy stuff is just too convienent. I've also been feeding the car Valvoline MaxLife since I got it, I saw significant improvement with it on my '65 Lincoln and mild improvement on my Buick.

So, any ideas where the oil went??

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by Driver:

your car isn't loosing its smoke, too, is it?

If you mean is the car smoking. No its not. Although with the exhaust being where it is, its hard to tell.

Guest White Horse
Originally posted by Gas,Grass,Or Ass:

some of the oil stays in the filter, some of it sticks to the drain pan. you always drain out less than what you put in even if the stick reads full right before you change the oil. weird shit.

or at leaste thats the way it always works for me.

pretty much.... that won't account for 2.5 quarts, but if it was about a quart low to begin with (which really isn't much) that could def be the culprit.