Nitrous question

Guest 1sweet3.4

Guest 1sweet3.4
How much of a pain in the butt is putting a nitrous kit in PROPERLY? The car is the camaro, 95 3.4 v6. And if any of you bitch about the v6 go fuck yourselves hard. Gas milaege is the name of the game, and a 400 dollar nitrous kit that will get into the 14s is a hell of a great idea compared to a 2500 motor and tranny swap. I'm asking this because i have felt the dark side, and I LIKE IT!! thanks to the guy on here with the gold 13 sec mustang v6. Can't think of you name right now, want to say mike? but i think im confusing your name and jess' cousin. I digress. It was in that moment that i understood Paul Walker's statement in fast and the furious. I need NOs, two of em. the big ones. and i need them by tonight! :D

Originally posted by the voyeur-ager kid:

How much of a pain in the butt is putting a nitrous kit in PROPERLY? The car is the camaro, 95 3.4 v6. And if any of you bitch about the v6 go fuck yourselves hard. Gas milaege is the name of the game, and a 400 dollar nitrous kit that will get into the 14s is a hell of a great idea compared to a 2500 motor and tranny swap. I'm asking this because i have felt the dark side, and I LIKE IT!! thanks to the guy on here with the gold 13 sec mustang v6. Can't think of you name right now, want to say mike? but i think im confusing your name and jess' cousin. I digress. It was in that moment that i understood Paul Walker's statement in fast and the furious. I need NOs, two of em. the big ones. and i need them by tonight! :D

Hey Eddie, you're right, it's Mike. I am glad you enjoyed the ride. Nothing like banging gears and having the radar detector come unplugged- reseting itself and going through the test mode, making you think its a cop.

Sorry the bottle pressure wasn't up. I need a bottle heater bad. As it was when you rode with me, the car prolly would have run 14.30's or so.

Anyway, I would start off with a dry kit. They are good to learn on and get acquainted to nitrous on. You can always upgrade to a wet one later. Research your car and figure out how strong the internals are. Get a step colder sparkplugs, run 93-94 octane, back down the timing a little (if possible) and start at a very small shot. Get it dyno'd if you can, with wideband 02 readings. All you have to do is find that happy place between being satisfied, and not melting all your shit.

Oh and make sure you get a 3.4L badge for the back. Gotta represent the V6! ;)

Good luck, let me know if I can help at all!

:cool:

Guest 1sweet3.4
Thanks guys! The stock internals on the 3.4 are kinda shitty, in fact I've heard that my 3.4 is doing real well having almost 140000 mi. on it and it still runs decently. I'm looking at the NOS EFI kits. they have one for the 3.4 specifically for about 450. I'll be building up a custom spec 3.4. the stock heads have been known to take nitrouse just fine, the problem lies in the pistons, and the block itself. I saw one that went lean, and you couldn't count the number of holes in the block and internal pieces. I figure I'll run nitrous on a light shto until I blow up my current motor or it just can't run nemore. then drop in the other motor. 300 bucks for a running, used 3.4 v6 with less than 100k. I LOVE GM!!!

it took me and John Roughly 6 hours to do the install on my car... but we spanned it over a few weeks.... (I have all the safety equiptment and you can't even tell I have N2O (besides the bottle in the back) I would deffinately recomend going with a wet kit (because we don't want your injectors going max duty cycle or anything). Word to the wise... get the Gen X2 kit... it costs more, but it can save your ass. With a good setup, you might be able to even hit high 13's on the spray.... (wouldn't that be something) just out of curiosity, what else do you have done to your car? I have a buddy with a 3.4 and we've done some fairly cheap mod's to his car, and it runs pretty good... (home made CAI kit, cat back, LT1 drive shaft....) If you want help with the install let me know....

on a side note, I haven't heard anything bad about the 3.4's as far as reliability, they are just slow... Sean's has like 160k on it or something and still runs great.

Guest 1sweet3.4
mines doing well for the mileage i think. My only complaint is my compression problems and small stuff. I don't understand why so many people complain about the camaro and it's reliability, im just making an observation from a few ppl i know who have blown theres. I put over 90,000 on my 90 camaro making the grand total about 170,000 and I put an alternator on it. That's it. no brakes, no rear end, no tranny or nething, except when i wrecked it twice and had to put knuckles and rims on it. everything else held up beautifully and my current car's only real problem was a clutch and a vibrating d/s. the rearends sloppy but that's bc of that damn clutch. and lots of these graemlins/burnout.gif:D

Originally posted by Theoretic72:

there was more than one of you tho tongue.gif

just outa curiousity fowler how much do u sell basic wet kits for?

it varies for each car, give us a call, and we'll work something out with ya

i left in the 15 degrees of timing, stock motorcraft plugs and it was dyno'd on 89 octane :D

buy NX! get a wet kit! we put a nitous kit on my dakota in about 4 hours and that included making a special mount to put the bottle in the toolbox. I am lucky enough to have factory forged internals so I went two or three plugs colder and tossed a 150 shot on it. :D good luck

Originally posted by the voyeur-ager kid:

mines doing well for the mileage i think. My only complaint is my compression problems and small stuff. I don't understand why so many people complain about the camaro and it's reliability, im just making an observation from a few ppl i know who have blown theres. I put over 90,000 on my 90 camaro making the grand total about 170,000 and I put an alternator on it. That's it. no brakes, no rear end, no tranny or nething, except when i wrecked it twice and had to put knuckles and rims on it. everything else held up beautifully and my current car's only real problem was a clutch and a vibrating d/s. the rearends sloppy but that's bc of that damn clutch. and lots of these graemlins/burnout.gif:D

If I were you, 140k is a lot of miles to hook up a nitrous system on. With compression already starting to drop (assumption) you are going to get a nice amount of blow by. Rebuild it, forged pistons, new rings, new gaskets, and whatever else you see needs replaced, than run the spray.

If you put nitrous on a car that has 170K miles on it and a slipping clutch, jusy make sure there is nobody around you on the outside when parts fly. Also have a good tow truck ready because more than likely you motor is gonna go graemlins/puke.gif . But if you seriously do this go with a wet kit. It took me 5 hrs to do mine w/o instructions so it really not that hard. But I would seriously just build the motor first before you spend 400$ on nitrous and the 2500$ on a motor the first couple times you spray it.

Guest 1sweet3.4
170 and a slippting clutch? Mine has 140 and the clutch has no slip whatsoever. Agreed about the rebuild, I start getting paid again on friday and that is all money i can use for the motor. No worries there, I don't need to be blowing the motor apart. however that sounds like a hell of a fun time though. graemlins/popcorn.gif I had a recent thread i posted describing the plan. Bigger injectors are a must, the 3.4 only comes stock with 17 pounders. A wet kit supplies the fuel and nitrous, which would require tapping into the fuel line, or getting a separate pump. oh, btw I'll have to double check the site, but the camaro's connecting rods are forged, but the pistons are just run of the mill i think. ANyone know of a manufacturer for after market forged pistons?

Guest 1sweet3.4
Then I'd only have to worry about the rest of the engine! Federal mogul makes some pretty nice forged pistons and they supposedly hold up well with a 125-150 shot so those are prolly what im gonna get. Anyone know where to order those though? I checked jegs and they only carry stuff to build up v8s.

Guest lustful

again like others have said go with a wet kit. this is not so bad as direct port since you don't have to tap your intake manifold for the nozzles, but you are still putting in the extra feul needed. if you go with a dry kit you are making your injectors do double duty by trying to supplement all the feul needed to get the right mix with the extra air.

also for a cheap reliable and works just as well as any other kit out there go with nitrous works. i think they call the kit i install the wing kit? call them and tell them what you have and they will ship you direct instructions as well as all the lines bottle and nozzles needed. all in all about 450 shipped with a full tank too. oh and another thing i like about their kit is that they take the feul for the nozzle from the return line that is giong back to the tank. that makes it nice since you don't have to run another line to the nozzle. just my .02