Mustang Problems...

Shields1181

I was driving back from Myrtle Beach on monday. I had left at about 11am. At about 10-11 that same evening after being on the road i noticed that my temp guage was starting to climb. I kept an eye on it for about an hour and decided to pull over to let the engine cool down, this didnt help. Then me and the other 3 guys with me in their cars pulled over at the next gas station somewhere south of Marietta. I added anti-freeze and checked everything i could. NO HELP! I then ran that stang for about an hour and a half to 2 hours with the temp guage buried in the red, i couldnt even see it :mad: I finally got back to Bridgeport to drop off my bud and i heard it. PPSHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! Im thinkin there went the radiator, it was the water pump. By this time it was about 230am on tues morning. Oh well... Welcome back to the ohio valley steve! :rolleyes: Oh by the way guess how much a new water pump is for a mustang brand new from autozone...28 BUCKS!!! :Dgraemlins/gives.gif

I would bet you $100 it WAS a thermostat. But running at max temp may have burned up the seal in the waterpump. I suggest pulling the thermostat, putting it back together and seeing if it runs cool. If it does, go get a new 185deg thermostat. it may have gotten soo hot that the steam was pushing through the waterpump shaft seal, but that doesnt mean you need a new WP.

I'd be suprised if you didnt warp a head running that hot.... even iron heads.

GL

Jason

I do agree with you on that. I think that is exactly what happened. I did replace the whole pump and the thermostat already. But the bad news now, is that when removing two of the bolts that go straight through the water pump and into the block,they Broke! :mad: So now I have to take the water pump back off, take the timing assembly cover off and untap those bolts. I didnt fix the problem when it first happended because the car had to be taken back to my house. I guess its not a HARD job, just a pain in the ass. I'm gonna miss out on some drag racing this saturday but i would rather not add insult to injury. ;)