changing starter on G-body/chasing electrical problem

Guest nevarmore

Guest nevarmore

Hey, I'm helping a friend change a starter in his Oldsmobile Cutlass. It has a 4.3 carbed engine and is a late 80's (I think), G-body. Is there anything odd about the starter on these or is it simple unbolt and swap out?

Just making sure that we don't run into any hassles tomorrow.

Also, he has been chasing an electrical problem with the car for a month or so. At first it died (no lights, no radio, no spark). After replacing the battery and alternator it will stay running but has issues starting, hence the starter swap.

He has repaired the small two wire (volt meter? regulator?) connector on the back of the alternator, what do those wires do??

Where is the regulator on these cars? Is it integral with the alternator?

As always any suggestions are appreciated and a big thanks from my buddy for any tips you can offer.

Originally posted by Nevarmore:

Is there anything odd about the starter on these or is it simple unbolt and swap out?

Nope, very standard application.

Where is the regulator on these cars? Is it integral with the alternator?

80's and newer GM alternators use an internal regulator.

As to the electrical issues you described, have you guys checked the battery cables? If the Hot lead going from the battery down to the starter is damaged, it could be arcing out of the insulation, and thus causing the poor running condition you described.