lexus V8

copperhead

ok, i found some lexus message boards, and i found out the LS400 has a 4.0V8 in it, but i'm still looking to find any real specs on the engines, or if there is anything that can be done with them. There appears to be a supercharger, but it has to be imported from japan :(

Originally posted by copperhead:

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?s=210a91eccca51e98eea2ea283ea8080b&threadid=74460

Mark, you may or may not be interested in this. BTW, you know what engines the Getrag 6 speed will bolt up to without having to get a different bellhousing?

My understanding is that the Getrag only bolts up to the JZ series engines, but the people on Club Lexus are the ones who would know for sure. From what I've read, the Lexus auto transmissions are good somewhere into the 400-500rwhp range. There IS a five speed in some SC's, but I don't know if it was ever mated to the V8 or if it was just for the 2JZ-GE.

If you have to go to the trouble of fabbing a bellhousing, I might consider a cheaper and more common tranny -- the R154 five speed manual from the MKIII Supra Turbo. It's very strong (a number of MKIII's run it over 600rwhp) and is going to be easier to find. Also, Richmond and Tremec aftermarket boxes (without bellhousings) become viable options.

Here is a site with a twin turbo Lexus V8 project:

www.lextreme.com

He's made 324.5rwhp at 8psi running with NO intercooler, up from a stock dyno run of 172rwhp. His "Stage II" goal is 475rwhp at 15psi.

Also, there's a copy of a thread here on a Lexus V8 in a Cobra kit car. That guy is running a Tremec behind it:

http://www.lextreme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12

Originally posted by Sidecar9:

Very expensive :( Anyways, if you are interested, Passen on Bethel Rd. has a GS400 with a supercharger on it. Same motor as the LS400.

just the motor, or the whole car? There's a 4.0 V8 on ebay right now for $500, with no bids. Then, find a manual tranny to hook up to it (mine is barely living through my 4 cylinder abuse), then do the turbo work. Up the fuel some, and the engine will be ready to rock.

BTW, these are all future plans. I have *NO* money right now.

Originally posted by Sidecar9:

Nope .. it's in the car, and the car is fun :D

i'd assume so, but i cant afford it. I'm going to OSU, and i need a job. Right now, i'm still struggling to just get my truck paid off, but i can always think about what i want to do in the future