LS1 swaps

Guest beransom

Guest beransom
I noticed there are quite a few people that post that seem to know the LT1/LS1 stuff pretty well. I need a little advice. I have a 2000 GMC with the 5.3 LS1. I have always wondered what LS1 parts from other motors can be swapped in without a lot of trouble. I was wondering about things like heads and intakes from a 'vette or something else. I have found very few sources for performance pieces or mods so far other than the typical bolt-on items for this motor. Suggestions? Places to look?

well, i am not one of the real knowledgable ones for sure but i do know just to make sure you know, that LS1/LS6's are completely different than any other Small Block Chevy engines so really any parts can only be swapped between them, unlike LT1's which have a lot in common with other SBC's

the other guys will be able to get into a lot more detail and help you out a lot more tho

The 5.3, 5.7 6.0 are very swapable. most parts bolt up. I have 6.0 heads on my 5.7.

the motormounts are the same.

Reckless here had a 5.3 Iron block in his formula at one time.

the intakes are diffent, but someone told me the truck ones are better, just that due to clearance issues you cant stick one on a Fbody.

Guest beransom
I found LS1Tech the other night and registered there too. Good site. Are you using the 6.0 LS6 heads? They looked like a good swap especially if they were tuned up a little before going in. I was also wondering in an intake swap for a TA/Z28/SS or 'vette intake would help. Are you an auto or stick? If an auto have you tried a higher stall converter?

I believe the main difference (other than block material) between the 5.3, 5.7, and 6.0 motors is the bore size. I THINK their strokes are all the same judging by the data I can dig up.

I think your best bet may be a cam and 6.0 heads. The 6.0 heads are usually found much cheaper than LS6 heads and i've read that they flow very well. Some even say they flow nearly identical to LS6 heads.