520 conversion

f4isvt

I am doing new sprockets and chain on my bike this winter and saw a 520 conversion. What is that? I am not going down or adding I am staying at 16/46 teeth so should I run a 525 like I have or the 520?

i would go ahead and stay with the 525. A 520 has a 'thinner' chain (pitch) compared to the stock 525. less unsprung weight. you prolly wont notice much of a difference unless ur hitting the track hard anyway, and some think they dont last quite as long as the stock sized chain. IMO i would really consider going down -1 on the front sprocket. big improvement over stock gearing.

i think you lose alot on the top end if you go down one in the front. If you want to do wheelies and stuff like that I'd go down one in the front but if you like going 120+ stay stock.

not really...i nvr really did a whoolie with my bike..its a good cheap mod for better acceleration. Who cares about going 150+ on the street anyway? with that gearing (600rr) you can still hit 146 mph i believe..so thats not much off the topend..and ur right in the powerband all the time :D

i think you lose alot on the top end if you go down one in the front. If you want to do wheelies and stuff like that I'd go down one in the front but if you like going 120+ stay stock.

I went down one tooth in the front on my 1098 and it didn't really lose much on the top end. However, i just did a track day at Grattan last weekend and i can tell you it definitely kicks ass on the track with the lower gearing.

Here's a link to the gearing commander site, It'll give you an idea of how chain and sprocket changes will affect your bike. Just enter your bike make and model then click set presets and don't forget to change it from metric to sae before you start.

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Just like anything, you get what you pay for. Buy a shitty 520 chain and yes, it will not last. Buy a good ERV3 or similar 520 and it will last as long if not longer than the tank of a chain you currently have in your 525 set-up.

Buy a 520 and a good one at that.

That 525 isn't any better than a 520 quality one.