silencer

supldys

i just put my 3" exhaust on, and i need a silencer BAD

i've never had one before, what even goes into them?

or is there anything else i can shove in my exhaust, and be able to pull out when i need to, that can quiet it down

-Jono

i have some apex'i silencers on my car right now, but they only come in 90mm and 110mm, so no SAE sizes from them.. they're basically just a smaller pipe inside the tip with sound insulation around it. also it needs to fit very well inside the tip otherwise you'll have an annoying constant rattling. i can take some pictures if you want a closer look

its sort of like a resonator, its a piece that goes into a tip after the muffler.

Only us riceboys use em when we're rolling through new rome.

its just meant to quiet the exhaust down.

but i kind of built my own today, and it helps a little, but not enough at all, my shit is just crazy loud

Guest stevil
Originally posted by Not Just Handling By Lotus:

but i kind of built my own today, and it helps a little, but not enough at all, my shit is just crazy loud

Jegs has some silencer cones for headers and mufflers, looks expensive as hell though. My old Jegs catalog here lists the 3", 3.5" and 4" at $59.99 while their site lists them all at $79.99... they must have raised their prices.

But if you look at that pic, the design seems simple, you could have one made for $10 or so I bet. Find a sheet of stainless steel with holes (or drill them out yourself) and have it welded into a 3" cone. Done, stick it in there.

Guest relvinnian

Actually it is nothing like a resonator, in that it is not an expansion chamber for resonation. It is a "tip insert" with a 2" diameter hole packed with fiberglass, steel wool, etc., to help dampen sound.

You guys don't know shit about loud. I would put a PP open header 13B against any nitro-burning boinger in a sound test ANY day ;)

I had the above silenser with my GT spec, but I never used it.

Guest stevil
Originally posted by relvinnian:

You guys don't know shit about loud. I would put a PP open header 13B against any nitro-burning boinger in a sound test ANY day ;)

I saw 2 drag doritos down in Orlando in January, those fuckers were loud. I doubt they're louder than top fuel dragsters though, just more annoying. tongue.gif