Sensors

Guest fast cutie

Guest Ranger_Man
depends on where its located. e.g. can you reach it and have enough room to work in that area. usually o2 sensors seem like they are an afterthought and stuck in some stupid place that only midget hands can access.

Guest fast cutie
the guy at auto zone told me its the one behind that cat.converter and not to pay to have it done. my sister got both hers replaced and spent over $1000

Originally posted by fast cutie:

the guy at auto zone told me its the one behind that cat.converter and not to pay to have it done. my sister got both hers replaced and spent over $1000

$1000! Holy SHIT... The sensors themselves can be expensive (i.e. couple hundred if you're really unlucky), but Lord that sounds bad.

Guest fast cutie
Originally posted by 100 RWHP:

$1000! Holy SHIT... The sensors themselves can be expensive (i.e. couple hundred if you're really unlucky), but Lord that sounds bad.

Hers was for a miata not a neon BTW smile.gif

Guest stevil

The O2 sensor behind the catalytic converter isn't important. All it does is make sure your cat is working correctly for emmissions, shouldn't hurt performance.

If you're worried about a "Service Engine Soon" light on your dash bugging you or something like that, you can get a new O2 sensor and replace it. Otherwise, it's no big deal to just leave it.

And it shouldn't be hard to replace, if you have some basic tools (jack, jackstands, wrenches, etc.). On my car, changing an O2 sensor after the cat would be cake, if I had one. tongue.gif The 2 pre-cat sensors on the other hand... one is a tough bitch, the other is easy.

Some cars have the cat built into the exhaust manifold, which means it's closer to the engine and in a tight spot, and not under the car and easily reached. Look under the car to see if you can see the catalytic converter, should be bolted or welded into the exhaust piping. If you see it, should be fairly easy to replace.