removing caliper paint...

recklessOP

sand paper

start with a rough grit, and if you want to make them shiny again, slowly work up to wet sanding.

100 grit, 400 grit, 400 grit wet sand, 800 grit wet sand, 1000 grit wet sand, 1500 grit wet sand, 2000 grit wet sand

but that's only if you want them shiny. If you just want the paint off, use something between 100 and 400 grit

Originally posted by BlackS14:

No chemicals. It could stain the metal and damage seals.

no worries there. they're already corroded and stained somewhat. these are off my old corvette btw. i'm rebuilding the calipers. the pistons, seals, and hardware have already been removed.

i've got a whole pile of suspension parts to clean and prep next, so i may go ahead and pick up a sand blaster...

i was considering having them powdercoated instead of painting them again. will that work for a set of calipers?

thanks again! smile.gif

Originally posted by Four Wheel Drift:

no worries there. they're already corroded and stained somewhat. these are off my old corvette btw. i'm rebuilding the calipers. the pistons, seals, and hardware have already been removed.

i've got a whole pile of suspension parts to clean and prep next, so i may go ahead and pick up a sand blaster...

i was considering having them powdercoated instead of painting them again. will that work for a set of calipers?

thanks again! smile.gif

yes powercoating will work very nicely.

Guest BlackS14

I had a set of Nissan Z32 calipers sandblasted last year. 50 bucks for all 4. I had them cleaned up while the pistons and seals were still on them -THEN I rebuilt them. That way the sandblasting won't score your cylinder bores.

Aside from removing the old paint, the sandblasting will make a nice surface for your finish to adhere to.

I wouldn't recommend powdercoating. No one powdercoats their brakes. If you look at a set of high performance brakes, they are painted with a high-temp enamel. The most similar in appearance is G2. Powdercoating will burn off eventually.

I personnally use VHT Caliper paint, but G2 looks great as long as you got a good batch and have done careful prep.