Does anybody know step by step how to replace a clutch?

matthewdoughtyr1

send a pm to vrod dave he was doing a clutch on a buddy's busa last night, seemed pretty easy, and I don't think it was too expensive. But, he would know more. I just watched and wrote down stuff. I'm better at working on houses. LOL

It's really easy on R1's - but the last clutch plate is held in with some sort of retaining wire - took me 30 minutes to figure that out. Could have been a 1/2 hour job if it weren't for that damned thing.

ha i just did this yesterday!

first time i did it too. its not that bad. i am going to post up a how to here shortly. cost your looking at 90 bucks for friction plates and around 70 for pressure plates (you most likely won't need new pressure plates unless you REALLY screwed up). and a new clutch cover gasket and you will need to change your oil so factor that.

i got new friction plates gasket and 4qts for 160 even. the oil i got was 15w30 full synth yamalube specially developed for trackdays? its brand new out these past few months so i thought id give it a try.

im a first timer never done any serious labor into the engine/tranny and i managed to change the clutch in 20 minutes but took me 5 hours to figure out how to get the cover on correctly...

again ill post up a how to for how i did mine. i've got a 99 R6 so it should be similar.

also note that you CAN take off your clutch cover and inspect your plates to figure out if you need pressure plates and friction plates without oil coming out. but again you really shouldn't need new pressure plates unless you really messed up.

check out the dayton forum for my thread (what a day...) it has some good pics in there. and ill get more later today

ha i just did this yesterday!

first time i did it too. its not that bad. i am going to post up a how to here shortly. cost your looking at 90 bucks for friction plates and around 70 for pressure plates (you most likely won't need new pressure plates unless you REALLY screwed up). and a new clutch cover gasket and you will need to change your oil so factor that.

i got new friction plates gasket and 4qts for 160 even. the oil i got was 15w30 full synth yamalube specially developed for trackdays? its brand new out these past few months so i thought id give it a try.

im a first timer never done any serious labor into the engine/tranny and i managed to change the clutch in 20 minutes but took me 5 hours to figure out how to get the cover on correctly...

again ill post up a how to for how i did mine. i've got a 99 R6 so it should be similar.

also note that you CAN take off your clutch cover and inspect your plates to figure out if you need pressure plates and friction plates without oil coming out. but again you really shouldn't need new pressure plates unless you really messed up.

check out the dayton forum for my thread (what a day...) it has some good pics in there. and ill get more later today

Thanx 4 the info