Audio Buffs...

Total Sign

Alpine 60x4 CD player

2 6x9 infinities

2 5" bose

1 bazooka 8

cant remember my amp, but I would guess 200 watts.

The system is on my boat. I believe it has a 35amp alternator. The battery is brand new, 800 Crank amps (650 at 0*C). When the bass hits, and the volume is over 15, you can tell there isnt enough juice. What kind of fix should I be looking at?

2nd battery?

Power Cap?

new alternator?

Thanks for any help,

Tommy

Capacitors for audio applications tend to run $80+, and are just a bandaid. Half the time, they do nothing...

Your problem is obviously the alternator. 35 amps is weaksauce. It was designed strictly for keeping your boat running, and nothing more, as it doesnt need turn signals, headlights, brake lights, etc. etc. A normal car alternator puts out 50 amps and up, and they are quite often not enough for a high output stereo.

I suggest looking around to find a place that will rewind your alternator. They can put different parts into it, and wind it tighter, to produce more power. They will also put new contacts into it to make it last a lot longer. This is also way cheaper than buying a whole new alternator, and may even be cheaper than a brand new capacitor.

BTW, this belongs in the TECH section.

Etna battery in whitehall may do it for you. I would contact the boat manufacturer and just see if you can buy a higher output alternator thats the easiest way to do it. I would look for something in the 60-70 amp range make sure you get a marine alternator they have special arresstors in them to keep gasoline fumes from igniting in the engine compartment.

HTH

Originally posted by Kommunist Kopperhead:

[QB] Capacitors for audio applications tend to run $80+, and are just a bandaid. Half the time, they do nothing...

Your problem is obviously the alternator. 35 amps is weaksauce. It was designed strictly for keeping your boat running, and nothing more, as it doesnt need turn signals, headlights, brake lights, etc. etc. A normal car alternator puts out 50 amps and up, and they are quite often not enough for a high output stereo.

I suggest looking around to find a place that will rewind your alternator. They can put different parts into it, and wind it tighter, to produce more power. They will also put new contacts into it to make it last a lot longer. This is also way cheaper than buying a whole new alternator, and may even be cheaper than a brand new capacitor.

BTW, this belongs in the TECH section.

agreed. A cap will do nothing for you. Mainly they are for huge bursts were power will be drained a lot faster. The misconception with caps are that they help solve your charging issues when in reality, they may make them worse. You electrical system will have to keep a charge as well as charge up the cap.