Go Bucks.

Devils Advocate

Originally posted by Beer Guy:

i thought you people were doomed when ncst started driving the ball back down the field. however, the drive then slowed down so the thought passed.

And more Deep Thoughts from Jack Handy after this commercial break......

:D

I'm also curious what you guys who watch OSU play every week think of Lydell Ross? Seems like all the coaches and announcers have been talking him up since last year, but yet every game I watch he doesn't do anything of note. In fact my opinion of him has now dropped to the point where any time they give him the ball I just think to myself 'well, there's a waste of another good down'. The only thing he did today besides fumble the ball was his 3 yard td run which really any player on the team could've accomplished with their field position in the game.

Just curious on others' thoughts?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Razorback:

I'm also curious what you guys who watch OSU play every week think of Lydell Ross? Seems like all the coaches and announcers have been talking him up since last year, but yet every game I watch he doesn't do anything of note. In fact my opinion of him has now dropped to the point where any time they give him the ball I just think to myself 'well, there's a waste of another good down'. The only thing he did today besides fumble the ball was his 3 yard td run which really any player on the team could've accomplished with their field position in the game.

Just curious on others' thoughts?

Thanks.

I completely agree with you on this.

I'll only add that it still seems like Ross doesn't hit the holes hard and fast enough. I was hoping that his performance during the first game would have given him some confidence and raised the level of his play. Guess not. Sure, some of it has to do with teams putting 7 and 8 guys in the box, but, in the end, it definitely seems like Ross leaves you thinking that he's just not playing up to par.

Originally posted by Wease:

Two teams ranked ahead of OSU lost and we won, so we should be #5 after Monday's poll comes out... graemlins/thumb.gif

Emphasis on "should." I'm sure the pollsters will find ample reasons to leave OSU put and push Tennessee or West Virginia or fucking Notre Dame over us.

Originally posted by SupraGlue:

Santonio Holmes has more receiving yards than the entire team has rushing yards (315 vs 299).

What does THAT tell you?

Take away 2 big break plays and he will have less. He has a lot more open field than Ross does. Plus the O-Line is young and isn't able to give us that "smashmouth" football we are used to seeing and what Tressel wants to run. Once Zwick gets comfortable and the line comes together, things will come together. We have tons of potential, just need to get it all together.

Santonio Holmes? Jesus.

Lydell Ross? Terrible, and a pedifile. (He's tried/has fucked at least four high school girls that I know of). If Zwick had to rely less on the passing game than he does now (since lydell sucks so much), he wouldn't have nearly as many iterceptions, or the bad rep that he has now. Zwick is, and will be, a very good player, he just needs to grow up and get some experience.

I'm really happy that the Michigan game went down like it did, because of all of the shmack talking Mich fans did last week about the way we won the game.

PS: Uhm.. Mark's old frat rules. graemlins/thumb.gif

Originally posted by Venomss:

Emphasis on "should." I'm sure the pollsters will find ample reasons to leave OSU put and push Tennessee or West Virginia or fucking Notre Dame over us.

oh man, notre dame is playing an awesome game this year. Who woulda thought dublin would push out a damn good QB.

I just hope tressel dosent start relying on nugent, he kicked a lot of field goals yesterday.

We can do awesome this year, but i think zwick just needs a bit more experience.

I think that osu's running attack would be much better if they utilized all their great running backs...bring in ross, then bring in mo' hall, and bring in pittman, just run each of them throughout the game and the defense will have to adjust for each back allowing each back to open up and get some yards...imo....however we defnitly need to get some 0.

However, Nugent IS DA MAN!!!!...lol

Ross had all last season, and 3 games this season to establish himself as quality Big Ten running back. He simply has not. Maybe it's the offensive line? Bullshit!

Hall has done nothing other than show he is a adequate kickoff returner.

My thoughts:

Ross = bench

Hall = Kickoff and punt return

Holmes = No more punt returns, he's gonna get killed

Pittman = get him the ball and some experience NOW!

Ginn = punt returner, and how about an end around or reverse??

When the fawk are we gonna try running something OUTSIDE the tackles??

Nugent for Heisman in 2004

OSU should also not run out of a single back set with Ross. Pittman is a more elusive runner, and does a better job at "running to daylight", which you need when you don't have a fullback leading.

Ross is better when he follows the fullback (any back is). That lets him hit the designed hole with more momentum (and less thinking) and lets him use his size and strength to more effect.

His touchdown run was an example. Joe came in the game for his only play at FB, and Ross didn't get touched until he was past LOS. He was able to keep his legs moving and force his way into the endzone.

Watch Schnittker, and you'll see a fullback getting leveled by linebackers. Given how many times we run iso plays where the fullback's job is to take on the MLB, you can't have that. Joe returning to full health will definitely help this team a lot.

Shafe, man. I'll let you take away a couple of big tosses to Holmes if you give me Ross' 68 yard run against Cincy. ;) Now what are we talking? 231 yards rushing as a team total over three games?! Throw in that those three games are Cincy, Marshall and NC State. If I ask you for Pittman's 36 yard run (also against Cincy), we're looking at UNDER 200 yards in those three games!

We had 79 total rushing yards against Marshall. Ohio Univerity will get more against the Herd. More than likely, so will Miami O., BGSU, Kent State and Akron. If they meet in the MAC title game, so will Toledo.

Now, here is where it gets painful.

Division I-AA Richmond, who lost to NC State 42-0 gained 104 yards against the Wolfpack. OSU had 64. :eek: They also gained more total yards than we did.

The Richmond Spiders ran the ball more effectively. Let that one sink in for a bit.

Maybe we will see how powerful the Spiders' attack is when they play Hofstra and James Madison. New Hampshire might be a stern test for them, since they just beat Rutgers.

Throw in one lost fumble per game the past two games, each resulting in an touchdown for the opposing team, and it seems to me that Ross has earned himself some bench time regardless of who the fullback is.

Originally posted by Rotarded:

Ross had all last season, and 3 games this season to establish himself as quality Big Ten running back. He simply has not. Maybe it's the offensive line? Bullshit!

Hall has done nothing other than show he is a adequate kickoff returner.

My thoughts:

Ross = bench

Hall = Kickoff and punt return

Holmes = No more punt returns, he's gonna get killed

Pittman = get him the ball and some experience NOW!

Ginn = punt returner, and how about an end around or reverse??

When the fawk are we gonna try running something OUTSIDE the tackles??

Nugent for Heisman in 2004

I agree. Every run it's Ross up the middle for a -2 to 1 yard difference in field position. ;)

We all should write a letter to Tressel ;)

Originally posted by SupraGlue:

Now, here is where it gets painful.

Division I-AA Richmond, who lost to NC State 42-0 gained 104 yards against the Wolfpack. OSU had 64. :eek: They also gained more total yards than we did.

The Richmond Spiders ran the ball more effectively. Let that one sink in for a bit.

Well you know that isn't a fair comparison at all. How long did the starters even play against Richmond? I know Tressell called that game a scrimage for NC ST and said their starters didn't play half. I also have a feeling that the NC State D was a little more keyed up for Ohio State than Richmond.

Not defending the pathetic running game, but just putting some things in perspective. It's sad. And like Venom said Ross just does not hit the holes fast enough. His first step is always sideways or a stutter step. By time he decides where to run the hole is gone. He's got to be one of the worst tailbacks I've seen. If he can get moving thru a hole and get up to speed he can usually pull out a nice run.. but who the heck cant! He is single handedly killing the running game!

Originally posted by TRDmkII:

I think that osu's running attack would be much better if they utilized all their great running backs...bring in ross, then bring in mo' hall, and bring in pittman, just run each of them throughout the game and the defense will have to adjust for each back allowing each back to open up and get some yards...imo....however we defnitly need to get some 0.

However, Nugent IS DA MAN!!!!...lol

They haven't been able to utilize Brandon Joe from a full back perspective because of inuries, which gives Ross, no lead backs. If Ross had a lead back, I think that he would do alot better.