Beer Review: Duvel

Guest Ranger_Man

Guest Ranger_Man

Like I said in the last review, this beer is highly unlikely to disappoint. While walking around Central Market I saw a sale ad posted on one of the walls. Immediately mine eyes were fixed on a golden bottle of goodness in the middle of the page. “What is that?!?” my mind wondered. I had to fight the urge to immediately run over to the ad since there were many good looking girls around and I sure did not want to look like a ninny in front of them. So I casually strolled over and made conversation with a good looker also browsing the posted ad. Once the conversation ended and I had been thoroughly shot down I returned to what my eyes had originally spotted. There it was, printed on the page of goodness, what I had come for. The ad showed that a bottle of Duvel was on sale for the price of five dollars. I immediately began to worry that there would be none left for it was midday Sunday. I briskly walked to the beer and wine section and began my search. I looked and looked and then looked some more, but I could not find any! I searched high and low to no avail. Then I turned around and like a beacon from above it was right there; the treasure I had sought. That is how I came upon this selection. I have never had Duvel before but have heard amazing stories from pirates and sailors about it.

Bottle: A full 750ml (1 pint 9.4 fl. oz.) bottle of wonder! The bottle is pretty plain with two white labels. The small top label around the neck only has what might be the Duvel shield or it might just be a creative logo. The world may never know. The top label also has the words, “Anno 1871.” The bottom label has Duvel written in large red letters with Belgian Golden Ale written in small black letters right below it. The label also states that the beer is bottle conditioned, has 8.5% ABV, the words, “Crafted in Belgium”, and lastly the label reminds me to, “Pour Unhurriedly.” The side of the main label has the following text:

“Refreshing and golden like a Pilsner but with the flavor, depth and complexity of an ale, this Belgian favorite has been brewed by four generations of the Moortgat family. The Pilsner malts, Bohemian hops, and unique yeast strain combine to create Duvel’s intensity, aroma and oomph. And the unusually long maturation process at our brewery ensures a mellow, balanced and beguiling flavor. Enjoy chilled (40-50 degrees F) with discerning friends or good looking strangers.”

Since it is a bottle conditioned ale I took the time to roll the bottle on my desk to reincorporate the yeast back into the beer. I happen to like my bottle conditioned beers to be remixed with the yeast since they do add flavor.

Pour: The beer pours out as an opaque golden color. Accompanying the color is a marvelous head that when first poured was roughly two and a half inches high. The head only ever so slightly settles down towards the beer in uneven waves that makes quite a good design. The bubbles in the head are so fine that it reminds me of ice cream. There is quite a bit of carbonation present that I can only see when I raise the glass up to the light.

Taste: All I can say is it has taken what seems like forever to get to this part. When you bring the beer up to your mouth you have to wade through the head to get at the liquid. However, this is a good thing. The head has a splendid texture that when accompanied by the liquid, renders a good additive to the overall beer taste. I hope you have sat down before you get to the liquid part. The beer is so good and so complex. The carbonation is done absolutely perfectly and is present only at the first sip. After that first sip your taste buds are just overwhelmed by flavors. The tastes that I can actually pick out are as follows: apples, pears, alcohol (remember it is 8.5%ABV, which is rather high), a malty sugariness, and an absolute array of spices. The aftertaste of the beer is a tangy, spicy sourness that just leaves you demanding more.

Overall: What else can I say? This beer is utterly amazing. As far as complexity and taste goes, I would be willing to put this beer up against any wine, any day, any time. For the price, this is the best beer I have ever had. Of all time, this would be my third favorite beer, just behind Dogfish Head Midas Touch and Chimay Grande Reserve. Seriously, try this beer.

http://s90651370.onlinehome.us/duvel.jpg

Guest Ranger_Man
best i have had for the price. i think the review turned out well too. hell its 805 words, which is longer than pretty much any paper i have ever written for school.