Thinking about buying a wave runner, any suggestions?

Guest turbojc

Guest turbojc

Well I have been contemplating buying a wave runner for that last couple of weeks and wondering if anyone had any experience with them. Looking at getting a new Sea Doo RXP.

I was attracted to the RXP because of it’s ridiculous power to weight ratio of 3.67:1. :eek: A 790lb wave runner with 215hp sounds like a lot of fun, but I am concerned about the resale value of a 2up vr a 3up The 3up RXT is only $300 more but is also 10” longer and 100lbs heaver.

My biggest concern is how bad do these things deapreashate in value? I really don’t feel like loosing me ass over a wave runner.

I have looked at the Honda's and Yamaha's but seam to lack HP compared to Sea Doo's Rotax engines.

Rite now I trying to sell my dirt bike, as soon as it sells I will have enough for the down payment. Witch if you are interested in is for sale here

http://www.columbusracing.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=003697 . I would like to get one soon.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks, Josh

Guest racinbird

Ive had one, then upgraded to a boat, then a bigger faster boat. Wave runners can be a blast, you just need to think what you want to do with it. There are different types to choose from.

I had a Yamaha 760 and it was fast, but wide and heavy, very solid ride but hard to jump and do tricks, the fun stuff. My buddy had an Seadoo XP, fun ass little runner, narrower and lighter than mine, faster accel but same top end, but much easier to jump waves and do spins and what not.

You need to figure if you want a solid ride that handles well, less tip overs, or a lighter smaller , more narrow runner that can be more fun to play.

Ask around for differents models and stuff. I'd consider used if you are just getting into this, new ones you will nevr get your money back if you arent happy with the results.

P.S. A buddy of mine is selling an older SeaDoo XP with trialer if you want a cheaper one to start out with, or a second one, single rides can get boring

They depreciate pretty fast. And just like boats you can get a MUCH better deal if you buy used. Only reason to buy new is if there is a particular one/options on one or if you have money to blow.

Also it's easy to find em used and great shape because people buy them and realize they hardly use them.

Guest turbojc
Originally posted by racinbird:

P.S. A buddy of mine is selling an older SeaDoo XP with trialer if you want a cheaper one to start out with, or a second one, single rides can get boring

How much is he asking for it?

The BIG reasion for buying new is the killer financing on new stuff. The bank is iffey about lending money on used stuff.

How bad is the insurance on boats?

Guest racinbird

I think $1500-2000, its like a 93/94 or something, I can ask him this weekend.

I pay just $295 a yr full coverage on the boat, so I ski should be slightly less