Buisiness proposition

Guest FBody Addict

Guest FBody Addict

want to start a mobile oil change business, need a partner

plan is to buy a van outfit it with shelves and stock it with the basics, eventually branch out into repair, can get a wholesale discount from fram, but to start out with i want to remember the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid) and put an ad on the side

anyone interested or any advice, and would i be better off going alone to start with on this venture?

Unless you physically need a partner to assist you, I would go it alone to ensure there is a demand and that you have a the dedication to make this sucessfull.

Not to even mention the complications that adding employees adds to a tax/insurance/liability perspective.

What all have you done to cover your ass in the event that something happens to a car you work on?

You'll have a hard time making money doing that.I've worked in the automotive industry for 15 yrs and have heard many,many discussions on making that profitable.You would have to charge $100.00 for an oil change.think about this,cost of truck,insurance for truck and as mentioned liability insurance,cost of parts and gas for truck to go mobil and your not looking very profitable.The $19.95 oil changes usually end up costing the consumer $39.95 and up after upselling(wiper inserts,air filters,in-cabin filters etc) and it would be hard to stock those on your truck.Plus there would be another expense inventory.I am actually looking at a business start up right now and I am thinking about a $5000.00 initial investment(I also have a partner) plus planning on no profit for at least 6 months.Good luck though and don't give up the dream of owning you own business.Somebodys got to be the next rags to riches story why not one of us?Just my .02 worth.Ended up being about a quarters worth though.

I think you really have to look at the supply/demand aspect of oil changes. 99% of people are going to need an oil change sooner or later, but there is alot of availability to take care of that. NOS50 makes a good point on the aspect of how much it would really cost.

Places such as Jiffy Lube, get by, by offering the "upsell". If they strictly sold oil changes, they probably would not be in business.

I recently heard of this same type of business rolling around town.

I would try to think of something that sets you apart from the rest. What does no one have in the oil change industry, that you could do.

-You could tag team up with a detailer or possibly a dent puller and while their pulling dents or buffing things out......you change the oil

-Try to hook up with a small business, change their oil and give them a group discount or special "company" rates

-Tag team with "valet" services, and when they take the keys, they could offer them an oil change while they shop or eat

Everyone and their mom offers the service of an oil change.....think about the added service aspects that you could at to the current situation to define your current market niche. Make it your own and make the best of it. And remember, Rome was not built in a day.