Over-clocking?

Guest Crankshaft

Guest Crankshaft
<font color ="midnightblue"> ...I don't know a ton about it, but it's something I might possibly want to do to my system. I was just wondering how one goes about over-clocking a computer. I have a pretty fast system right now, but I'd like 'pretty fast' to become 'un-Godly fast'. Should I just do it with some friends? Hire someone? I don't know enough to trust myself with it, but some good friends here are pretty sharp with that sort of thing. How much does it usually cost (or does this vary with how far you 'clock' it)? Just curious. If anyone here has done it, I'd like to hear what you did and how much your system improved in performance.

Overclocking sounds difficult and scary but when done properly it isn't really all that hard. Some question I would ask are what do you want to overclock? Processor? Graphics Card? Memory? Knowing the type of system you are running will help too in terms of where you wanna go with your system. Their are lots of option too when it comes to cooling an overclocked system.

It all depends on your budget, air cooling, water cooling, peltier. Just a matter of how far you want to take your current system.

what parts do you want to ramp up?

fsb

memory

proc only

vidoe card

its very easy to do and you would go about doing the same way you would tune boost on a car. Turn it up a lil, run some apps, see if it crashes. Turn it up a lil run some apps see if it crashes. you want to stay in the 5x degrees celcius range as your max. granted they can go higher but thats a safe bet to stay around.

Things to consider purchasing. better proc. heat sink, memory heat sinks, northbridge cooler (a better one since you prolly already have one), southbridge cooler ( you may no have one and once O/C it'll get hotter. Also how strong is your power supply. Turning up the power to the items you overclock as well as the extra load the new fans add will be higher. How many watts is you powersupply? how many amps is it?

if you google the topic you can find a shitton of info.

Originally posted by iwishiwascool:

Im confident that overclocking with a dell MB is impossible. You have to have a mainboard that allows you to step the FSB and/or Multiplier along with the voltage.

DFI/Asus/ABit make great boards for this.

bullshit there are a number of software based O/C solutions out there. SoftFSB being one of them as well as speedfan.

leave it alone... it's fast enough as is.... overclocking can void the warrenty as well as shorten the life span of the PC... You can also experience funky errors and random rebooting if you over clock your processor.... 3.2 is fast enough... geesh... don't get greedy tongue.gif

Shut up Josh. smile.gif

Before OC'ing, go here

It's a program that will let you know the operating temperatue of your procesor. That's important to monitor.

Go here and download CPU-Z. This will provide information about your mother board, processor, ram and timings. You may need this utility to identify your mobo so you can properly set up mother board monitor.

Once you have baseline speeds and temperatures, you can go ahead and start increasing your FSB speeds a few mHz at a time. I OC through the bios, so when you turn on your comp try hitting F1 or the Delete key (this should be the 1st or 2nd screen you see when you turn on your comp. It should tell you what key you need to press to access the bios.)

If Dell won't let you overclock through the bios, then you'll have to try Kyle's route.

Edit: I wouldn't overclock your graphics card. it's already one of the fastest cards on the market. It's also the most expensive component of your system. Fry it, and you'll be out several hundred dollars.