Nicotine Screening

Guest SweeeetSilvia

Guest SweeeetSilvia

Hey, does anyone know how long nicotine is in your system. I am usually just a casual smoker like when im drinking and stuff, but i have an interview coming up and i really would like to know.

thanks

dan

Didn't we already go rounds with this issue once? If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Ricochet facing an imminent nicotine test? I'm too lazy to do the search...

In any event, I clicked the link provided by Mr. 2, and I was a little wary of the following statement:

Most people can quit "cold turkey" without any ill effects other than feeling irritable, restless, and craving cigarettes.

My impression is that the vast majority of individuals that are addicted to nicotine cannot quit "cold turkey" with much success. This impression is guided by research (of which I, again, am too lazy to do the search for and post appropriately), anecdotal report, and personal experience.

Also, for what it's worth, my impression is that nicotine has a relatively short half-life and is dispatched from the system in several hours. However, I'm not familiar with the sensitivity of "nicotine tests," so I'm not sure how good they are at detecting minute levels of nicotine, which may be left in the body after those several hours.

Lastly, nicotine testing is ridiculous.

Guest timmybgood

my biggest question is....

why do they test for tobacco when its not illegal!?!?!?!

pot and coke etc is a different subject, because they're illegal

Guest GSRchick714
Originally posted by timmybgood:

my biggest question is....

why do they test for tobacco when its not illegal!?!?!?!

pot and coke etc is a different subject, because they're illegal

I agree, what is so wrong with smoking cigarettes?? They're legal so thats your choice, it shouldn't matter if you smoke or not when you're looking for a job..

The question as to whether or not it's legal is not the primary issue. Alcohol is legal too; does this mean that, as a result, we should be permitted to drink on the job? No, of course not. We're aren't allowed to drink on the job because of the impairment that alcohol causes the body. However, nicotine does not cause the same impairment. So, the same reasoning could not be applied to nicotine. Instead, proponents of nicotine testing would say that we should test for nicotine because we don't want nicotine users (i.e., smokers) in the workplace because smoking in the workplace causes people who don't smoke to be subjected to second-hand smoke, which is dangerous. However, whenever you appropriately partition off "smoking areas," then there's no harm posed to non-smokers. And, thus, again, nicotine testing is rendered, well, stupid.

Guest doggunracing

Well, I think the situation with Ricochet was that it was a job with a medical facility where you couldn't even smell like smoke on the job.

Another issue is the 'breaks' that smokers seem to get more frequently than non-smoking workers.