VTEC is supposed to be fast, right?

Guest FBody Addict

Originally posted by h23it:

Not really. The biggest thing I've noticed about every vtec car I've ever driven or ridden in is that they have no pull until 3800 rpms (give or take). Little engines, no torque, a little horse once you finally reach it, I'm a Honda guy and I don't like vtec. The only vtec motor I have been impressed with is the b18 and I'm still disappointed with its take off... again, not enough pull at low rpms.

Everyone thinks the h22 is a great motor, but the h23 is probably the most under rated motor Honda ever built(for those that don't know the h22 is a 2.2 vtec and the h23 is a 2.3 non-vtec, they were both prelude motors and there was some competition as to which was better). Yes, the h23 is about 20 hp shy of the h22 stock, but the hp curve is much smoother and its got the most torque of any Honda motor other than the crv when you need the torque (at lower rpms).

Just my opinion, but I would own a non-vtec Honda way before a vtec. Neither of my cars are vtec, I opted for the non-vtec versions of both. I mean look at my sig.

If your going to try and make arguments about "low end torque"..I think you've picked the wrong cars to argue about.

graemlins/slap.gif

i know there are hardly any fast 4 bangers[/QB]

I have a near stock 88 turbo 4cyl motor from 1979 and held damn fine with an lt1 a few weekends ago.. Hope youre building a good 350 lt1's were good for about 285 i thought. so yes there are fast 4 cylinders around, evil peter, ricochet, any sr20det,any wrx, evo, sti.. dont let the exhaust note fool ya.

Originally posted by h23it:

Not really. The biggest thing I've noticed about every vtec car I've ever driven or ridden in is that they have no pull until 3800 rpms (give or take). Little engines, no torque, a little horse once you finally reach it, I'm a Honda guy and I don't like vtec. The only vtec motor I have been impressed with is the b18 and I'm still disappointed with its take off... again, not enough pull at low rpms.

Everyone thinks the h22 is a great motor, but the h23 is probably the most under rated motor Honda ever built(for those that don't know the h22 is a 2.2 vtec and the h23 is a 2.3 non-vtec, they were both prelude motors and there was some competition as to which was better). Yes, the h23 is about 20 hp shy of the h22 stock, but the hp curve is much smoother and its got the most torque of any Honda motor other than the crv when you need the torque (at lower rpms).

Just my opinion, but I would own a non-vtec Honda way before a vtec. Neither of my cars are vtec, I opted for the non-vtec versions of both. I mean look at my sig.

Jeez...your a honda guy huh? Then you'd should know that your H23 has about 40 less hp then a H22 stock. Also, any honda guy who would pick a H23 over a H22 says enough. There is a reason why people like the H22's over the H23's. Oh, also torque really doesn't matter when your talking about stock or basically stock engines in a honda. Good day.

Guest FBody Addict
Originally posted by Orion:

you are the one who asked the question, so, you are the dumbass, dumbass.

and, anytime you want to see how slow my 4 cylinder is, ill be happy to show you.

said hardly any fast ones, not none

i was asking to see if there was a difference between standard OHC hondas and VTEC OHC engines

Guest 01NFRs2k
Add the RSX Type-S and S2000 to the list of cars where VTEC is noticable. Why is there still an argument over the fact that there is no pull at lower RPM's? That is pretty well known.

For about a thousand dollars you can put together a turbo kit for a 1.6l vtec sohc.

Just get a used volvo/saab/dsm turbo, dsm bov, dsm injectors, dsm side mount intercooler, new fuel pump,header from a vx hatch or hf, and a vafc. You can put the piping together on your own from conduit and fittings from home depot.

There are some fittings and such but this is the basics. I have a freind with this type of set up minus the injectors, fuel pump and vafc and he is running 180 hp in a 93 hatch(stock motor and 8 psi).

I am putting together this kit with 8.5:1 pistons and new rods for my civic.