People who won't learn ENGLISH! (prolly will get NWS)

Kuruma

Originally posted by Pony Pimpstress:

Rick, believe it or not.... but most Eurpoean countries have English as their second language. If you work in the city at a shop, generally you have to speak English. I've been to Germany and Croatia (a fairly small country), and I've had no porblem with them speaking English to me. In fact, they think it is rood to speak their language to you if you can not speak it. I used to have the same thinking as you, till I traveled over seas.

p.s. Just for the record, I know enough Croatian to get around the city just fine on my own. German is another story... since I didn't go to stay there. Altho, I did pick some of it up!

ummmmmm...........ok.......rude to speak their language.....that is funny. I lived in Germany for 2 years of my life, and they don't think it is rude for you to speak to them in their language. They actually appreciate Americans who know how to speak multiple languages, because the general opinion of Americans is undereducated, arrogant, etc... in the world. I have never come across a German, Croation, Spaniard, etc.... who thought it was rude that i spoke in their language. That post was funny....rude to speak their host language LMFAO

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by kshymkiw83:

ummmmmm...........ok.......rude to speak their language.....that is funny. I lived in Germany for 2 years of my life, and they don't think it is rude for you to speak to them in their language. They actually appreciate Americans who know how to speak multiple languages, because the general opinion of Americans is undereducated, arrogant, etc... in the world. I have never come across a German, Croation, Spaniard, etc.... who thought it was rude that i spoke in their language. That post was funny....rude to speak their host language LMFAO

Honey, you may have lived there... but I have family there. Opinions may differ a tad :rolleyes:

90% of my family lives in Croatia, Germany, and Hungary. They all want to speak English with me because they want to learn to speak it better. Speaking English is important to being successful in many countries. I disagree with the "rude" thing, but agree they do have a preference of speaking English with Americans, mostly for the sake of bettering themselves and the chance of getting to practice it with a native speaker.

And yes, Americans in general are very ethnocentric and uneducated about the rest of the world. CR threads can provide a lot of good examples of this.

Originally posted by Pony Pimpstress:

Honey, you may have lived there... but I have family there. Opinions may differ a tad :rolleyes:

WOW, can i shake your hand??? I got family in Russia...WHO CARES.....yea people wana speak english, and it is key to speak english to be successful, but it isn't rude to speak their language in their country when shopping in their stores.

Originally posted by kshymkiw83:

No hes pretty much right. Since there are so many differant languages English is like the median, which everyone understands. Trust me, i speak out of experience