computer keeps rebootin

ShoMeSomeFun

Just like i typed my computer wont start up, im not good with computers so ill explain the best i can. When i turn it on it will say there was a power failure and needs to run in either safe mode, safe mode with networking, last know configuration, or start-up windows normally, ive choosen all of them and the computer will start to come up then just restart and go back to those choices again. Any ideas/suggestions on what to do?

Yep, a # of things it could be. Lack of voltage to the CPU (ie. bad power supply), bad RAM (if you have multiple sticks of it, try one, then the other, if not, try to borrow some from someone to test), CPU overheating (although most of the time the system will freeze instead of reboot when heat related). Try those things then get back to us. When you get that Windows boot menu always just 'start windows normally' unless you have a logical reason to go to safe mode (like cleaning out drivers or something).

In addition to the above, it could be a bad hard drive. It tries to read from the boot sector and that kills the startup process.

But the majority of the time I've seen this, it was the RAM due to a bad memory bank. I usually see overheating CPUs reboot or shut the PC off within a few seconds of the BIOS screen, but not always.

I also agree with the power supply having a bad rail, adversley affecting the processor's abilities to run anything past basic BIOS and startup processes.

Now you have a list of what to look at :)

He's getting past the POST and into the actual boot screen. Processor is not likely the problem. RAM could be. If you have more than one stick of ram in the computer, pull all but one and see what happens.

My experience has been a fux0r3d hard-drive or something blasted a device driver. Could also be a bad device. Pull all non-essential devices from the computer.

Does it get all the way to a login prompt or desktop or does it give you the Windows splash screen then reboot? Start pulling all non-essential hardware.

BTW, anyone reading this - Maxtor hard-drive sucks. I've had 3 or 4 of them die on me in the last 5 years. Haven't had any of the other brands (IBM, WD) fail yet.