PCIII + K&N = ugh

Zecho

I got the PC and the K&N installed. Now I've gone from running rich to running like crap. I tried the default map, and the stage 1 map from the website. The idle is really rough. I had to raise it to about 1200 to keep people from thinking I was riding a quiet harley. My bike is completely stock except for these two addons. Any ideas on a quick fix? And what would it cost me to get it dyno tuned?

Also . .

I'm hearing what I'm thinking is valve chatter. Considering I'm at the 16k mile service mark, where would be a good place to get my valves adjusted, and how much will it cost me?

I'm working till 6, but if you happen to be on the south side of downtown any time tomorrow, I can pretty much come and go as I please. It'd be great if you could swing by, even if it's just to stare at it with me and agree that it's running like a turd.

how did you know you were running rich? Soot?

My cousin could actually smell it while following me on the highway. Yeah rich

Chased everyone out of THIS garage in about 5 seconds. Smelled like it was spitting out pure gas

52561a9.jpg

that's the "man garage" where we build our mustangs.. . Plus there's a 3 car garage attached to the house.

As far as the bike, I dunno. All I know is it's running funky, and still pops wheelies. If you wanna call me, I'll walk out and start it and it'll be like Frazer, you can be the radio Dr. listening to my weeping problems.

I used to be pretty familiar with honda fuel injection systems from my old car days but havent messed with honda bikes, but if you need some help screwing with the thing tomorrow or this weekend I would be willing to try and help out. I dont think a power commander is going to be your solution to a problem that appeared on its own. I will do some research at work tomorrow and if the map sensors are the same as on their cars I have a couple laying around (i think) that we could try and swap.

It started running rich about a month after I bought it. I pulled the air filter and I'm pretty convinced it's stock. So I ordered an air filter, and figured while I was at it I'd go ahead and get the PC. I have no clue. If you follow my posts, I build carb'd cars as a hobby, and know notta about working on bikes.

Well the map sensor on the bike is a Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor it reads the vacuum in the manifold after the throttle blade and with the blades completely open it will read a value close to atmosphere and at speed maybe a little bit of positive pressure. If there is a error light on then there may be no signal from the sensor at all and the bike would run rich and probably not rev all of the way. If there was a vacuum leak the sensor would not see the vacuum and think that there was more air entering the engine and give it some more fuel resulting in a rich condition with no other symptoms.

i read you othere thread and im sorry i didnt get to it earlier. If your bike is stock and runs fine from the factory there is no need for a powercommander and messing with the buttons while it is idling is not the same as tuning it under load. I can help you try and troubleshoot it tonight or this weekend as I am sure you are tired of throwing money at this thing.

If you dont have a multimeter and mightyvac I can provide one so you can check vaccuum and the sensor output

if you go get dyno tuned and get a custom mapped you will be wasting money by tuning a bike with a bad sensor. If you get the bike running correcly first then dyno and mapped that would be money well spent

check out a couple of theses links maybe they will help

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda- ... oblem.html

http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda- ... ssion.html

That's the plan. I'm going to spend some time this weekend making sure nothing got disconnected and so on. Once I am sure everything is where it's supposed to be then I'll get it on the dyno.

Well, here's a timeline.

Bought the bike, it ran fine.

About two weeks later, it started running rich. Still ran fine, just could smell gas in the exhaust.

Someone suggested I check the air filter, it was wasted. So I ordered the K&N, and the PCIII.

Checked the bike again before I started tearing into it, it ran and idled fine, still smelled like gas. Keep in mind my fuel mileage has not been bad at all.

I replaced the filter, installed the PCIII, starts right up, runs fine, it just idles really rough and was running lean. I upped the fuel by the buttons and the idle smoothed out a bit, the pinging went away for the most part.

I rode it to work today, it ran perfect, it just has a terrible idle. It even seems to have a lot more power at the bottom end.

I will pull the tank and check for connections under it when I get home tonight.

Considering I'm looking at $250 for dyno tuning, I want to make sure everything is perfect (or as close as possible) before I do that.

My temp tag expires the 21st, this just seems like I'm going through a lot on a bike I've had less than a month.

i put a high flow air filter on my bike along with an exhaust and pcIII and it was doing pretty much the same thing, i was told it was because of the filter. i had it mapped then tuned on a dyno and it's been fine since. i had it done at honda motorsports of marysville(937-645-4081), they told me it was $160.00, but only charged me $80.00.

I just took it to lunch and messed with the buttons when I got back.. I added fuel to the bottom and mid ranges and it pretty much smoothed it out. I'm gonna keep tinkering with it and still will check for disconnected hoses and such, but I think it's mostly just running lean now.

• 3 weeks later...

Charles.. when is the plan to go out there for pulls.

Ditto.

I am down for this if Joe is going to blow some shit up again with those mini explosives. :banana: That was a good time. The only drawback to the last time was that it was freezing cold and snowing so we should be cool this time around.