91 LeBaron GTC 3.0 V6 (A604) Tranny Problems

KlubFoot

Ok... I bought this car not running. It needed a fuel pump so I got everything taken care of and now the transmission is screwed up. The car is a 91 LeBaron GTC 3.0 V6 with the electronic 4 speed (a604). I don't really know anything about transmissions, but to me the problem seems very odd. When you first start the car and put it in drive, it will pull right away without a problem. Once it gets to the point where it should shift into 2nd it just starts slipping. Once it starts slipping, it is very hard to get the car moving. Once you turn the car off and start it back up, it pulls away without a problem again. It will do this consistently. Reverse works fine and there is a proper amount of fluid. The front seal also leaks, so I haven't tried flushing the system due to being scared it might make the leak worse. I've also never pulled off the pan to check the filter either. ANy ideas?

Taran

Dodge FWD trans are junk...plan on putting one in it!!!

I hate to concur, but this man speaks the truth.

As far as repairing it, sounds like the front pump is the problem, a very common one at that. Replacing it can be done, part is available through Dacco, (in the phone book) around 100 bucks, but you can buy a whole transmission from a salvage yard for a bit more.