Sony Skymap 2000 Software and GPS

gillbot

I'm selling my Sony Skymap 2000 Software and GPS receiver. It includes the original Sony Skymap software, the new Sony Skymap 2000 Software with extra installation disk for Windows 2000/XP and the ETAK Serial GPS Receiver. Install the software on a laptop, plug the receiver into your serial & mouse port, toss the receiver onto the dash (or hang it over the rear view like I do) and the software will show your location on the map! It can give you directions audibly also. I have the earpiece somewhere but I'll have to find it. This unit has served me VERY well on many roadtrips but it's time to upgrade!

Review #1

At last, relief for lost travelers. Sony SkyMap 2000 bundles detailed maps of the entire United States (including more than a million restaurants, hotels, and tourist attractions) and a compact GPS receiver that attaches to a notebook's serial and mouse ports (the latter to draw power). Before you go, load the maps you need on your notebook's hard drive and plan your route, perhaps taking advantage of the Etak/Metro Traffic Web-based advisory service (subscriptions cost $60 per year, but registered users can try it free for 30 days). While you roam, the GPS receiver tracks your progress. Via the included microphone/earpiece, you can get routing directions in sequence.

Review #2

Sony Skymap 2000

Good: Accurate maps, speech, flexible disk space requirements

Bad: Only compatible with Sony GPS

This package has by far the best maps, far more accurate than any of the other PC software packages I've seen. These maps are from ETAK, the same as those used in many dedicated navigation systems.

One downside of this high level of accuracy is data size. Skymap map data requires three CDs, while most the other programs fit all their map data on a single CD. Skymap has a nice feature that allows use without a CD. It allows one to install detail maps for just the specific regions needed to the hard disk (e.g. for a specific trip). This is excellent for laptops with limited disk space and no internal CD-ROM.

Another disadvantage of Skymap is that it requires the Sony GPS and it isn't compatible with standard NMEA GPS receivers.

The SkyMap user interface isn't as feature rich as SA7, but the fantastic map accuracy and detail, as well as turn-by-turn routing with voice guidance more than make up for it. SkyMap 2000 is my first choice for in-car navigation.

I'll let it go for $25 including all the software disks I have for it and the Serial GPS unit.