SVT Contour / SHO reliability?

Science Abuse

I've got a 95 Contour SE. I love mine, and have a friend that has had 3 or 4 SVT's. The oil starvation issues are real, but as I recall, there is a fix that can be found on http://www.contour.org. My only issue with my contour is the smallish back seat that plagues all Mondeo chassis cars (Ford Europe's Mondeo, Contour, Mystique, and Jaguar X-type). Mine is a v6 Auto car, and if I can find an SE v6 Manual car with leather when I've got the money, I'll almost certainly jump on it. I bought mine about 4 years ago with 52k on the clock, and I'm getting ready to turn 140k on it now. My only issue in my years of ownership was with the water pump. The 2.5 v6 has a plastic impeller that is only seems to go about 45-60k before it breaks. Otherwise, totally trouble free.

At least the Contour engine is a standard engine with just a ported intake.

you're badly incorrect. they had hand selected cranks, higher compression pistons, larger valves, dual extruned honed heads, larger upper and lower intakes extrude honed, larger tb, conical air filter, better y pipe, and a 2.25 mandrel bent exhaust splitting into duals. yes all that is pitiful for like 25-30 more hp but they're buy no means the same motor

I used to own a 91 sho, pretty fast car cosidering i paid 600 for it, it was extremely nice for the price just a few tears in the leather. The only problems that i know of on the the v6 models is that the rotors were too small for the car so they would warp when put to the test, and the 60k 120k services are a must, mine im pretty sure never had this done and it had 140,000 miles on it, still ran like a champ i actually ran it up to 135-140 mph and raced some guy on this board who had a turbo civic and was pretty much a dead even race from a roll and dig not sayin thats an accomplishment or anything. Also another potential problem on the v6 models is that the pins for the differential/transmission or whatever could slide out and a new tranny would be needed, they make parts to fix this though. If i were to buy one again id probably get the earliest generation i could, because they were a bit quicker due to the earlier ones being lighter.

you're badly incorrect. they had hand selected cranks, higher compression pistons, larger valves, dual extruned honed heads, larger upper and lower intakes extrude honed, larger tb, conical air filter, better y pipe, and a 2.25 mandrel bent exhaust splitting into duals. yes all that is pitiful for like 25-30 more hp but they're buy no means the same motor

Truth, as well as more aggressive cams. I didn't know you used to own a tour Derek. The Duratecs are very reliable engines though. If you're looking to mod it, a 3.0L Duratec from a Taurus/Sable/Escape is a pretty common mod. These things can put down a decent amount of power (200hp/200lb tq). Then throw on some bolt on's, port the heads to match the svt manifolds, and swap some svt cams and your set. If you need more help or research, a good resource is either contour.org or newcougar.org

Btw. You forgot the cougar is also on the mondeo chassis. ;)

What everyone else said is true about the SHOs. If you need any info on them ask me. The MTX sho's liked to throwed diff. pins espesially if you roast the tires off enough. The ATXs were know to be weak trannys, altough mine never gave me any problems. If you go to look at a SHO. A good way to tell if the 60k service was done or not would be to pull one of the spark plug wires and check for oil in there. If there is oil in there, then the 60k probably hasnt been done. The valve cover gaskets, waterpump, belts, o2 sensors, ect. Are to be replaced on a FULL 60k service. As for the V8. Stay away from them unless you know the cams have either been welded or pinned. If not, it'll cost you around 1500-2000 to get them welded to prevent cam failure.

I didn't know you used to own a tour Derek.

I had the 2nd obd1 3L contour in the country behind Airknight who wrecked on his bike and passed away. it was a begie 95 and looked completely stock :D If i were to ever do it again it'd be an obd 2 car all the wiring shit I went through was flabergasting. I'd say I could do an obd2 3L in probably a weekend or less.

I've owned and driven both cars, I had a 1997 Taurus SHO that was about as reliable as a Yugo, but then again it could have just been that car. Little crap would break all the time on it that would end up setting you back pretty damn far in the end. As far as the Contour, it's not really pushed to much but the tranny started having problems around 67k and had to be repaired (I forget exactly what was wrong with it) and had a fuel pump problem but other then that very fun car. Like everyone else has pointed out if you even THINK about getting a 96-99 SHO make SURE that the cams have been welded, the last thing you want is to purchase it and drive it for a week only for it to be destroyed.

A good site for the V8 SHO's is V8SHO it has everything you'd ever want to know.

I had a 1993 SHO, great car, expensive to fix!!! Fun, fast for a four door people mover, great interior, nice wheels. 60k service is a must, if it hasn't had it done, don't touch it.

Tom

Tom, your SHO was pretty badass. Aren't the SHO motors expensive as hell?

yes the sho motors tend to be more pricer but the v6 models are reliable as hell, at least thats how i was treated, and all the amenties that come with an sho like power everything, leather interior, jbl sound system, just talkin about it makes me want to go back into the market for one again. the only thing i really didnt like about them is that when i did an aftermarket exhaust it sounded too ricey there really wasnt any rumble to the exhaust sound, but it was fast.

i read through that and didnt see the fact that CSVTs are mtx only... i dont know about SHOs, but if she can drive a standard Id go for an SVT... I've always wanted one... T-red is an amazing color for a contour

Yup. 5-speed only. Women who can drive stick is just flat out hot.