250cc, 500cc, or a 600?

chrismindless

Im thinking of getting a bike for summer, something to putt around in ...

Ive riden dirt bikes and ATVs before, I can operate them but im not experienced.

Should I start off with something slow like a 500cc?? or get a 600cc and take it easy? Ive been told that new riders dump bikes, so best to get something used not new. And I was told to move up in bikes, start small, so a 600cc over a 600R? is there a difference?

thx!

you should go buy the bike i just sold. It's at Cyclesearch in Delaware. I bought it from them and owned it for 2 years before selling it back to them. 2003 Suzuki SV650S. V-twin sportbike, has the nice grunt of the v-twin torque more power than a 500cc but not as fast as a 600cc. i absolutely loved it and only sold it because i'm racing a 2004 SV this year. hands down best bike to start on. plus it will be cheap and has already been down so you wont have to worry about tearin up a pretty new bike.

I usaly suggest to young rider to get something slower. I started on a KZ440 and then i got a seca750 . Also my 440 got dumped a few times mostly because of slow turns things like that but my seca has never been dropped by me ... my mom on the other hand dropped it.

I started out on a 1980 yamaha xs400, with 270 pound rider it was almost dangerous to go out on the highway, simply because it was so fucking slow... then I got a 1987CBR 1000 Hurricane, It decided to take a shit, and was needing some serious repair, so I sold it for a financial loss, but saved some serious headachs, and got a 1989 honda shadow vt1100 crusier bike, I LOVE it. Plenty of power, rides great, and as you'd expect form honda, VERY reliable. When I get some money I'd like to get a Yahama VMAX. It's a crusier, but has the power of a crotch rocket, So I'd be comfortable riding it, and be able to go about as fast as I'd ever need to.

If you have the right attitude, you could start on a BUSA or any liter bike. It's just when you get brave and try things you shouldn't, you will hurt yourself. As long as you drive it civilized, you won't have a problem.

I would get AT LEAST a 600cc bike and even then I would think about something bigger. Just for the fact that if you learn properly and don't wreck in the first 60-days, you will be sick of a 600cc bike after that.

BE SMART, TAKE A MSF COURSE AND BE SAFE!!!

If you have the right attitude, you could start on a BUSA or any liter bike. It's just when you get brave and try things you shouldn't, you will hurt yourself. As long as you drive it civilized, you won't have a problem.

I would get AT LEAST a 600cc bike and even then I would think about something bigger. Just for the fact that if you learn properly and don't wreck in the first 60-days, you will be sick of a 600cc bike after that.

BE SMART, TAKE A MSF COURSE AND BE SAFE!!!

I suppose, as long as you like to go in a straight-line, then this is the advice to follow.

Any newer 600 supersport WILL stunt your learning curve on everything but going fast in a straight line. If you were to step back to a early/mid-90s 600, it wouldn't be as bad, but seriously look at Drew (Muthapucka's) 650SV, or another like it. I saw it this summer and I was seriously impressed. Very nice bike - plenty powerful to break every law on the road (by FAR), but more forgiving than the 600 supersports if you get ignorant with the throttle. It will still happily throw you into the ditch, but you'll have a little more time to recover.