Converting a FI 302 to a Carb

KlubFoot

I was just wondering what all would be involved in converting a fuel injected 302 to a carbed motor? Also, what are the benefits of carburation over fuel injection? I'm planning on swapping a 302 into my 4 banger, and I'm trying to research all my options. I've always played with fuel injected cars, but I've never had the chance to learn about carbs. Any personal experience or articles you guys may have will help me out a lot. Thanks.

Taran

I switched to carb and love it. I hated not being able to tune it to my changes but, now...just change some jets and there you have it. I direct run my dist. off my msd. Just took the computer out and hooked the gauge leads up so my factory gauges still work.

Guest Spoiler71

It’s a mistake to convert a car to a carb but your problem is unique. If you really want to convert the car to V8 with a carb its easy. A return style regulator with the proper fittings from Aeromotive will solve the fuel supply. As far as the motor goes an intake and carb will handle the fuel/air needs. The spark will need to be supplied by an after market unit or by converting to the older Dura-spark. Save the stock drive gear its steel. Most after market gears for a roller cam are brass and wont survive in the motor.

As far as keeping the EFI get the engine harness complete and it should plug into the support harness already in the car. Make sure to have the Fuel lines and computer too. If the donor car is MAF then you will need to salvage the support harness or do a MAF adapter.

Its been a few years from the last one we did and I know I have forgotten some things but that was the basics.

P.S. Can't tune EFI? Guess you just need to be smarter than the inanimate object that you are working on.