Manual choke on a carb

Buck531

My bro's truck is sitting in my back yard. He told me it's a manual carb. It takes forever and a day to get it to start (maybe 15 trys to start it when it's cold). After it starts, it's fine.

Just wondering if anyone would want to come over and take a look at it and maybe make an adjustment on it?

I don't even have the choke hooked up on my old 350 with a quadra jet carb. I just pump it till I hear fuel squirting into the carb, give it a few more then crank it over. If its below 40 degrees out I usually gotta stop, pump it 3 or 4 more times and then crank it again. Then I just hold the tach at around 1500 for a minute and its ready to go.

If your meaning that the choke is manual then maybe theres a knob you need to pull out to start it. I almost hooked one up on my truck, but theres really no point when it starts so easily once you get used to it.

Evan

Hey jackass, nothing wrong with carbs! (When they work right.)

But yeah they're all right there should a knob to pull and it's generally down around where the hood release or OBDII hook up would be on the newer cars.

I'm going to go check out some new careers today but afterwards I got nothing to do if ya want me to swing by. Downside today is the carb might be out of adjustment after sitting so long. Is it an original or an aftermarket like Edelbrock or Holley?

Hey jackass, nothing wrong with carbs! (When they work right.)

But yeah they're all right there should a knob to pull and it's generally down around where the hood release or OBDII hook up would be on the newer cars.

I'm going to go check out some new careers today but afterwards I got nothing to do if ya want me to swing by. Downside today is the carb might be out of adjustment after sitting so long. Is it an original or an aftermarket like Edelbrock or Holley?

Easy killer. ;) I still have 4 or 5 4 barrels and a 2 barrel laying around the shop. next to a 8v-92 blower....

Just trying to seel a little modern modification (megasquirt fo lyfe, yo)

Back to topic, if the carb is a holley squarebore, the kit to put a choke on it is usually like 30 extra, so it is often omited during an install. The squarebores tended to have either an electric choke or the heater element that went into the exhaust crosover (intake heater) so it would disengage as the engine heated up. If some of these components are rusted (or missing) this would make for hard starting. If you have a spreadbore and want to put a manual choke on it, the manual choke for a holley squarebore will fit, with a few minor mods. If you still have a quadrajunk on it, good luck ever getting it tuned right. carter AFBs and edelbrocks are unkown to me, never delved into them.