Computer question

RedLudeSH

OK, I suck at teh computer and I know there's some geniuses on here with them so I thought I'd give this a shot. I have an old Compaq Presario 5bw112 desktop computer that came with an Intel Celeron processor. Is it possible to buy a Pentium 4 processor, pop out the Celeron and replace it with the pentium 4??? Is it that easy??? How can I tell if it will work on my particular computer? I have a ton of crap on this computer and just got a USB2 card, DVD burner, CD burner and more memory for it. Is changing the processor alone possible??? Thanks for any help peeps :)

Also if this is possible I WTB a P4 or comparable processor if anyone has one for sale, anything over 800mhz. Thanks

You might be able to upgrade to a faster Celeron. However, after you spend money upgrading really old technology, why not just build a new computer? You could use some of your old parts and it wouldn't be that much more expensive to build a new computer. It would be worth it in the long run.

However, after you spend money upgrading really old technology, why not just build a new computer? You could use some of your old parts and it wouldn't be that much more expensive to build a new computer. It would be worth it in the long run.

Thats what I would do, its really not worth upgrading an older celeron.

Yeah don't bother if its like most compaqs it will probably self destruct something in the computer like the hard drive or something else when it detects a change. I'm a compaq certifed tech and those old machines required firmware updates to do alot of things and that crap was almost never documented either so even as a dealer you ended up trashing parts until someone found the proper TSB's to address the procedures.

Evan

I just built my in laws a decent computer for $350 with an intel sempron 1.6ghz 512 mb of ram and a 40 gig hd. It's a lot faster than I thought it would be and since you already have most of the parts, it would cost you a lot less. Check out http://www.zipzoomfly.com for more parts if you are going to build yourself one. They will save you a ton of money and most of the stuff has free shipping.

Bird69 anyway you could tell me what I need to get???

I have DVD burner a CD burner, the USB2 card, and a 160GB external hard drive. Everything else is what came with the computer. Should I get what a new case, powers supply, motherboard and processor <-which ones did you get for the set-up for your in-laws/ and which HD?? I can reuse this monitor and speakers etc. possible soundcard and videocard I dunno, if not what should I look for. Thanks for any help i'm sick of having a 6 year old computer.

For my in-laws I got

Motherboard: ECS 755-A2 SiS 755 Athlon 64 Skt754 DDR ATX Motherboard w/Audio, LAN, RAID/Serial ATA Retail ***Free 2nd Day***

400/800/1200/1600MT/s, ATA/133, AGP 8X, 2DDR DIMM, 5PCI, 1CNR, USB, Audio, LAN, RAID/SATA $50.99

CPU: AMD Sempron 2600+ 1.6GHz Socket 754 64-Bit Processor Retail ***Free 2nd Day***

w/Fan and Heatsink, 3 Years Manufacturer Warranty $75.90

HD:Samsung SpinPoint P SP0411N 40GB ATA/133 7200RPM Hard Drive w/2MB Buffer ***Free 2nd Day*** $52.00

For you, I would say keep only the external HD, the USB card, the burners, keyboard, monitor and speakers. Compusa Sawmill has a nice case w/ power supply for $30. It depends on what you want to do with the computer. Obviously gaming systems are going to cost more than just an email/online computer. I built theirs for only using AOL and I put Office XP on there in case they need to write any documents.

AMD Sempron 3000+ 1.8GHz Socket 754 64-Bit Processor Retail ***Free 2nd Day***

w/Fan and Heatsink, 3 Years Manufacturer Warranty $85.80

Western Digital Caviar WD400BB 40GB ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive *** Free 2nd Day *** $47

Kingston 256MB DDR266 PC2100 CL2.5 Memory Retail *** Free 2nd Day ***

Lifetime Warranty $24

Artec BKM-52X16C DVD 16x + CD-RW 52x32x52 Combo Drive Retail ***Free 2nd Day*** $31.99

Raidmax Diamond 228 ATX228BP Mid Tower PC Case (Blue) Retail

w/350W Power Supply $29.99

Biostar K8M800-M7A K8M800 Athlon 64/Sempron Skt754 DDR M-ATX Motherboard w/Audio, Video, LAN, RAID/Serial ATA Retail ***Free 2nd Day***

1600FSB, ATA/133, AGP 8X, 2DDR DIMM, 3PCI, 1CNR, USB 2.0, Audio, Video, LAN, RAID/SATA $53.50

Logitech Deluxe Desktop Keyboard & Mouse Combo (Light Gray) ***Free 2nd Day* $12.99

Artec S811 Speakers

The perfect match for your PC $1.50

Grand total: $286.77 Everything included 2nd day free shipping.

Outpost comp with 2nd day shipping :$312.36