for the laptop guys

Orion

how upgradeable is a dell laptop?

heres the situation...

we need a laptop. the desktop is being purchased by my pops. so, my laptop will be my main unit. i like to play some games, so, theres that. im also approved for 1500 at dell from way back when we first bought the desktop. id really like one of their xps systems, but that rolls in at just over 2 grand. i could finance it and pay the dif, plus get 18 months same as cash, but apparently dell isnt capable of accepting any other form of payment in conjunction with my dell preferred account. <grrr>

id like to go through dell, because ive never had problems with them, plus i have the preferred account. but, i am a pawn to the almighty dollar, and a true "top of the line" system is beyond my capabilities. so, what im asking is, if i were to get a more basic laptop, would i be able to upgrade it in the same manner as a desktop cpu? any other ideas are welcome as well. thanks in advance.

how upgradeable is a dell laptop?

heres the situation...

we need a laptop. the desktop is being purchased by my pops. so, my laptop will be my main unit. i like to play some games, so, theres that. im also approved for 1500 at dell from way back when we first bought the desktop. id really like one of their xps systems, but that rolls in at just over 2 grand. i could finance it and pay the dif, plus get 18 months same as cash, but apparently dell isnt capable of accepting any other form of payment in conjunction with my dell preferred account.

id like to go through dell, because ive never had problems with them, plus i have the preferred account. but, i am a pawn to the almighty dollar, and a true "top of the line" system is beyond my capabilities. so, what im asking is, if i were to get a more basic laptop, would i be able to upgrade it in the same manner as a desktop cpu? any other ideas are welcome as well. thanks in advance.

For the most part, the only things upgradeable on laptops are the memory, harddrives, and software. Everything else is integrated (ie: nic, video, sound, firewire, usb, etc all integrated on motherboard). $1500 can get you a nice laptop though. For instance, http://www.benstillman.com/images/DellLaptopDJ.pdf

There are plenty of other alternatives as well. But this will get a good deal for your $1500. Just be warned, there is no upgrading any hardware other than memory and harddrive. Everything else is built in.

Why not go with a HP?? I have had both Dell and HP. My HP rocks. It's a true desktop replacement without the need for a "docking station" and I picked it up for $1k (hell of a deal @ Best Buy one day). I just saw a pretty decent HP in the paper last weekend for like $699 after rebate. If you can get approved by Dell then I'm sure you could do the same @ Circuit City, BestBuy or Staples. Just my $.02

If you are dead set on a Dell....Just get as much horsepower in the processor as you can afford.

ben, that would be perfect except for the part where it says "integrated graphics". i tried really hard to get them to put the card i wanted into that unit, but, to no avail.

havent really even looked into an hp. ill check out their site.

ben, that would be perfect except for the part where it says "integrated graphics". i tried really hard to get them to put the card i wanted into that unit, but, to no avail.

havent really even looked into an hp. ill check out their site.

Check out this little puppy....pretty similar to mine.

CLICKIE

That Dell that Ben posted will be useless in games with that intel 900 "extreme graphics" IGP. The Radeon 200M is more powerful and runs HL2 alright.

I just configured an Alienware Lappy with a 15.4" screen, 2.0 Ghz Pentium M, 512 ram (cheaper to upgrade it yourself), 60 gig HD, DVD/CD-RW, and a Radeon X1600 256 mb graphics card. All for $1543. Alienware>>>Dell. Oh, and it appears they do financing.

http://alienware.com/Configurator_Pages/area-51_m5500.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-AREA51-M-5500&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

Also, Micro center currently has a Winbook A730 with an AMD Turion MT-32 (64 bit 1.8 Ghz), with a 100 gig HD, 1 gig ram, 8X DVD burner, 17" screen, Win XP pro, and the Radeon 200M chipset. for $1199.99

http://www.microcentre.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=214670

Also, Micro Center's flier advertises 6 months no interest, and an extra $100 off any purchase of $399+ when you open a Micro Center Visa.

The Winbook will have a faster processor that uses less power, but the alieware will have a much more powerful video solution (which should also use more power than the 200M).