Blown HG or Rings

Mike_Shepard

I was given a 94 Hyundai Exel with approximatly 130K on it, Last weekend it attempted to go from columbus to Cleveland but made it to Mansfield. After dooing a couple tests here is what I got.

The car turns over no abnormal noise from anything, But it blows blue smoke out the tail pipe(which I think is burning oil) so I think its bad rings. So I do a compression test and here it is

Compression test cylinder

1: 60 lbs..

2:0lbs..

3:180lbs..

4:90lbs..

So I take the valve cover off to see if all the valves are working and they are, So after this I take the Rad cap off and the anti-freeze looks awesome. Supposedly it never got hot on the trip.

After talking to my dad he seems to thing it has a blown head gasket, But I think the rings are toast. So what do you guys think?

Thanks Mike

Wow thats some really messed up compression numbers. Are sure you measured it right because according to those readings you need alot of help. Did the pressures lower pretty fast right after you finished cranking it because that would let you know if you have any serious pressure leaks as well. Of course I'm not really big on compression tests as there resaults mostly just give the armchair mechanics something more to speculate about on forums. You can't really know until you remove the head, but you might wanna check other stuff before going that route unless you just want to for the hell of it.

I was working on a Fierro a few weeks ago that a friend bought. The guy said it didn't run and he didn't know what was wrong because he did a tune up and it didn't help its missing problem. I reluctantly did a compression test and turned up nothing, but the damned thing ran like crap. finally we started back at square one and questioned everything. It turned out that the #2 and 3 plug wires had been backwards the whole time. So now the car runs great.

Evan

Evan

Guest racinbird
What do you mean "held steady"? Compression gauge should have a one way valve in it so the pressure shouldnt bleed off? Unless Im cornfused about what you are saying. Sounds like bent valves, is this an interference engine? Maybe it broke a timing belt and bent some valves?? Further testing is a waste of time if those numbers are right, time for a tear down or replacement