DVD compression software..

Balian

I don't know if anyone here might be able to help, but I am looking for some software that can compress a DVD file down from the full 7 or 8 gigs to the 4.7 format. I am legally backing up my DVDs and I need some recommendations. PM me if you can help..

Well I am past that point..

I can break the copyright, and I can rip the files from the DVD. The problem is, when it gets it from the DVD it pulls it at the actual size of the DVD. I need to compress it down to a 4.7gig format for my DVDs just like DVDShrink does.

DVDFab Decrypter.....will break any and all Sony ARccOS protection....which is what is messing up your shrinks, so rip the dvd to HDD with Decrypter, and then run Shrink on the image files and IT WILL properly shrink it how you want it!!

Well I am past that point..

I can break the copyright, and I can rip the files from the DVD. The problem is, when it gets it from the DVD it pulls it at the actual size of the DVD. I need to compress it down to a 4.7gig format for my DVDs just like DVDShrink does.

well now your making no sense

well now your making no sense

Let me rephrase this..What I mean is that I have a program that will break the copyright encryption on the DVD allowing me to use another program that will copy the DVD to my hard drive. The problem is that it copies it as a full DVD at like 8gigs. I need to shrink it down to 4.7gigs so that I can burn it back onto a DVD.

Does that help.

And so far shrinkto5 seems to be working damn good..

DVDFab Decrypter.....will break any and all Sony ARccOS protection....which is what is messing up your shrinks, so rip the dvd to HDD with Decrypter, and then run Shrink on the image files and IT WILL properly shrink it how you want it!!

Cool. I will check out that program. I have been using AnyDVD..That seems to be working well also.

AnyDVD..

I've been using this forever, works like a charm.

If you start wanting a higher quality backup look into Dvd Rebuilder used in conjunction with CCE. It takes an fn year even with a good machine but the compression is much tighter and you can definately tell the difference on my a/v setup.

Else i'd stick with dvd shrink. The versitility the software offers is great.

Just like someone else said, use DVDFab or DVD Decrypter to copy the full DVD to your HDD. Then use the Open file, not open disc, feature on DVD Shrink and it will shrink it down to size for you. Also don't forget to watch for the "running boy" on DVD's. This will most of the time stop DVD shrink from working. You will just need to change the "Unreferenced Matteral" section to a still picture and it will work just fine. If you have any questions, check on the forum on the DVDShrink website. Tons of info in the FAQ

Normally I use DVDShrink and has no problems.

If I run into a problem I would use DVDFab Decrypter to put it on hard drive then use DVDShrink to shrink to fit on a single layer disk.

If that fails then DVDFab to put it on hard drive, then use VobBlanker to take out some crap, then use DVDShrink to shrink.

I have not come across a DVD I can't burn yet.

Some good stuff here, I have been running into more and more DVD's that Shrink would not do on its own.

This will continue to happen since there are no new updates for DVD Shrink. Program works great, but with out any new patches to fight off the new protection, it can't do it alone. I have also heard that DVD Decrpyter has also stopped releasing updates, that is why everyone has started using DVDFab.

DVD Decrypter IS DEAD....hence the need for DVDFab Decrypter

DVD Shrink IS NOT DEAD...just no new updates in a while

if you have a problem using shrink only, it is more than likely a copy protection scheme preventing shrink from working properly, so far the only one that messes with shrink are SONY MOVIE DVD's including Sony Pictures and Columbia

this is where DVDFab Decrypter comes into play, it bypasses all ARcOS protection and rebuilds the dvd files in their correct locations, which ARcOS also moves around (on purpose) which then sets up a correct shrink and burn with DVD Shrink

any questions just ask!

Morabu