Stupid Insurance...

Balian

So I am looking around online to check out some insurance for a new bike..

I try three different bikes..

Ducati 999R - 32K bike... Insurance for this bike is 1400 for a year... Between bike payment and insurance payment looking at 650 a month..

Yamaha R1 - 10K bike.. Insurance for this bike is 3600 for a year.. Between the bike payment and insurance payments, I am looking at 550 a month..

Yamaha R6 - 9.9K bike.. Insurance for this bike is 2800 for a year.. Between the bike payment and insurance payemtns, still looking around 500 a month..

WTF!!

Ryan,

definitely check State Farm. And no, your current insurance doesn't care what you previously rode or that you previously had insurance with them.

It is amazing the Duc costs less to insure than the R1. Probably not really. The people that can afford Ducati's are older and responsible and generally don't crash them/act the fool.

Yeah man my little brother has the 06 R6 and he is only 22 and he pays $640 a year for full coverage I believe. His record isn;t so great either. I'm almost 27 and mine was going to be around $430/yr for the same bike and coverage.

This is through State Farm BTW.

Does your brother have his insurance on his own policy or is he on someone elese policy? I don't see how any young person can get that good of a rate without somekind of hookup espeically with a not so good record. I have a nice clean record and I cannot find anything less than 1200 a year..

Keep in mind that you just made a HUGE claim. Any insurace will be a tad higher now that you have had your bike stolen. I did have state farm, however a Dyno Brian recommended his insurance agent in galloway (which i think u said u like by) and he's da bomb. I got a hell of a deal vs. state farm. They wanted 180+ /mth for our busa, and the dude in galloway has me payin less than that for both our bikes!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, He is thru all state!!!!

Keep in mind that you just made a HUGE claim. Any insurace will be a tad higher now that you have had your bike stolen. I did have state farm, however a Dyno Brian recommended his insurance agent in galloway (which i think u said u like by) and he's da bomb. I got a hell of a deal vs. state farm. They wanted 180+ /mth for our busa, and the dude in galloway has me payin less than that for both our bikes!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, He is thru all state!!!!

Normally I would agree, but go to like geico's online site, or nationwide's site and do a quote..I put in that I haven't had a theft or anything and damned if it isn't still high.

I might be hitting ya up for this guy's number!

i have state farm, and i'm paying 33 a month for 05 zx10r, but we have been with the same ins guy for all my cars, bikes, and home....if you keep jumping from ins company to ins company you will never save money on insurance....sorry to hear about the bike ryan...sorry about not making it to bike night last weds....have a couple of bike to work on....

Guest arimichael

If what I hear is correct, State Farm uses a straight size formula with no extra surcharge for a hi-po bike. Nationwide, Geico, Progressive, and God only knows who else, all use a 300% coefficient. Basically if you were to pay $300 annually for your 650 V-Star, an R6 is gonna be $900.

American Family is pretty cheap too. But I think you have to have your homeowner/ renter and/or car with them as well. Wouldn't hurt to check.

Hunting for some independents works wonders too. A lot of them will advertise in Cycle Trader and some of the free trader rags.

If what I hear is correct, State Farm uses a straight size formula with no extra surcharge for a hi-po bike. Nationwide, Geico, Progressive, and God only knows who else, all use a 300% coefficient. Basically if you were to pay $300 annually for your 650 V-Star, an R6 is gonna be $900.

American Family is pretty cheap too. But I think you have to have your homeowner/ renter and/or car with them as well. Wouldn't hurt to check.

Hunting for some independents works wonders too. A lot of them will advertise in Cycle Trader and some of the free trader rags.

Nationwide will not insure sport bikes.