I'm pondering a thought, help.

SpaceGhost

I was driving home today and I noticed a guy riding his Harley. Now he has a bunch of stuff on:

http://www.columbusdiscgolf.com/IMAGES/4_19/041906_17561.jpg

Eye Protection - check (have to)

Tight Black "Harley" t-shirt - check

Jeans with belt that has re-enforced metal holes - check

Tattoo on arm - check

And the only no mandated protection item, Black Boots(shit kickers) - check

My question is why do you have to dress the part of a mean biker when riding a Harley? I mean why do you need the boots? When you fall off your hog your face, chest, arms, and legs will be all fubared, but damn your fucking feet will be golden. I'm not REALLY trying to make fun of someone but I just wonder why this is popular with this group of bikers. I mean the guys I ride with are sport bike riders, and we all wear a helmet, jacket, Jeans, and Gloves. However the one fuckin protection Item we don't wear are BOOTS, we wear sneakers! SO it seems to me we are polar opposites. AM I just over thinking this?

You guys are missing the point.

You SHOULD wear boots. It's a very good idea. He is making the point, that, when you are wearing NO other protective gear, what is the point of wearing boots? You most likely aren't going to die of foot injuries, but head/chest injuries. If you aren't going to wear a helmet and jacket, why not just wear tennis shoes or (my personal favorite) flip-flops?

Spaceghost, it simply boils down to many of them think it won't happen to them, can't happen to them, or it won't be that bad, although some of them probably think that it makes them tough. Many of them probably feel like everyone else is supposed to watch out for them. Since they are on a vehicle, they are just as safe as when they are in their car.

Personally, I think it's silly. I feel naked without my jacket, gloves, helmet, and boots.

You guys are missing the point.

You SHOULD wear boots. It's a very good idea. He is making the point, that, when you are wearing NO other protective gear, what is the point of wearing boots? You most likely aren't going to die of foot injuries, but head/chest injuries. If you aren't going to wear a helmet and jacket, why not just wear tennis shoes or (my personal favorite) flip-flops?

YES! I know I SHOULD wear BOOTS, but it is the 1 thing I skip!

YES! I know I SHOULD wear BOOTS, but it is the 1 thing I skip!

So what do you wear? I used to wear tennis shoes, but I was always paranoid about the laces getting caught in the chain or sprockets. I have also had incidences where the laces got caught on my pegs as I put my foot down.

I wear boots all of the time now. You get used to it when you do it all of the time.

You drilled one thing - the harley "style." As soon as most Harley guys get their bike, they spend a shitload of money buying clothes and gear to look the part. I cant explain why, my only guess is that its a lame attempt to fit in. The reputation Harley Davidson has achieved is that of the American biker bad-ass.

Going one further, I like the bikes. Custom choppers are even more appealing to me. Yet I catch all kinds of grief when I wear a harley shirt or West Coast Choppers shirt. Most likely because I do not look the part, or I am wearing one while on my sportbike. Big fucking deal. I like all bikes, not just what I ride. This irritates the shit out of me, just because I dont own one or ride one means I cant wear a shirt? I cant wait until the day when I have a nice chopper so I can wave to sportbikers.

I actually have several friends that had to get all the gear as soon as they bought their Harleys. Even when not riding, they wear the standard bandanna, boots, and Harley shirt. When questioned about it, they just laugh it off.

About the boots:

I would much rather wear boots and gloves (with no helmet) and die with pretty hands and feet than wear only a helmet, survive a crash, and have to live the rest of my life walking on krutches/one handed/wheelchair/whatever, just because our hands and our feet are such huge contributors to what we do every day. Something to think about.

You drilled one thing - the harley "style." As soon as most Harley guys get their bike, they spend a shitload of money buying clothes and gear to look the part. I cant explain why, my only guess is that its a lame attempt to fit in. The reputation Harley Davidson has achieved is that of the American biker bad-ass.

Yeah I don't get it either, as you can see I am traveling on Huber Village Blvd. in the middle of Westerville. It's not like he is a tough biker guy in a gang of hells angels in westerville. :lol:

About the boots:

I would much rather wear boots and gloves (with no helmet) and die with pretty hands and feet than wear only a helmet, survive a crash, and have to live the rest of my life walking on krutches/one handed/wheelchair/whatever, just because our hands and our feet are such huge contributors to what we do every day. Something to think about.

LOL. And how many crashes result in total incapacitation of the hands and feet where gloves and boots would have made ANY difference whatsoever? If your crash is that bad, it's most likely your arms and legs will be what is severely damaged, and no glove or boot will help you there.

Something else to think about.