MISFIRE in cylinder #2

morabu

i have an 01 Neon with only 65,000 miles on it, and this is my wife's daily driver, so we need to resolve this ASAP. about a month ago i could feel the car losing some of it's pickup, and about a week ago it started sputtering and idleing rough. the engine light came on and so i checked the OBD-II codes and referenced them online, and i was kinda close with my guess of a clogged fuel filter, she is misfiring in cylinder #2.

the problem is i'm too much of a puss, and have no REAL tools/knowledge of how to rip this thing apart and figure out what the hell it is exactly, it could be a fuel filter/pump, clogged/dead fuel injector, or a bad plug/coil (very doubtful), head gasket (very doubtful) or a valve gasket (possibly)

any idea's or anyone wanna help?

Its really not going to be difficult to fix. It will either be a problem with;

1) Spark plug, wire, distributor cab(if its got one)

2) plugged or otherwise failed injector

Both are easy to diagnose and easy to fix. The first thing you can do is start the car and pull the wire off the spark plug. Hold the end of it near some metal and see if you can see/hear a spark. If you still can't see/hear anything just stick a finger on it and you'll know right away. If you jump and scream alot then the wire is good. now turn car off remove plug and inspect it or just replace it if you want there cheap.

If all is good on the ignition side you can remove the fuel rail. You should be able to turn the key on and have fuel spray out of the injectors. if that don't work try to start it and fuel should spray out. This is a little more complicated, but still not hard.

Evan.

sounds good, but i'm very sketchy about messing with anything gas related (i.e. fuel rail) and not noin much about removal of it either

it is a coil pack, no distributor and there is no corrosion on the wires or the diodes? there was no oil in my spark plug chambers????

Go to autozone and rent a compression tester. If it's gradually lost power, that would be my guess.

Also Do what even and check the sparkplug. Coils can go bad. Personally tho, I wouldn't stick my finget in the sparkplug boot. That would definately be funny to see.

Well you can also listen to the injectors firing by holding the end of a screw driver on the injector and placing your ear on the handle end of the screw driver. Listen to all the injectors and you'll notice a difference on the #2 if its not firing. Other then that theres really nothing more difficult to troubleshooting this type of problem.

You can compression test it if you want, but I'd bet alot of money that the engine ain't even old enough to have the type of damage that would be required to show up on a compression gauge. And probably not ran hard enough either.

haha I stuck my finger in the coil wire and used my finger to complete the circuit to get a jeep started on the last trail ride I went on. You just gotta get used to the jolt and your good to go.

Evan

Swap the wire from plug #2 to a different plug. See if the misfire follows the wire. If the misfire changes from 2 to the new plug, problem is ignition.

If the above passes, swap an injector from #2 to another hole. If misfire changes cylinders, problem is in injector.

I really think one of those 2 things will find your problem.

• 3 weeks later...