Just Laid Off

Mr.COS

So I get an e-mail yesterday that the entire company is having a mandatory meeting on Wednesday at 8:30 AM.

The office goes to the meeting and in the conference call they say that they have lost $4 million the first quarter and they need to restructure the company. They say there will be layoffs today and they will be done by noon.

I go back to my desk knowing that I am a prime candidate considering I have worked there less than a year. About a half hour later another developer is boxing up his stuff. He has been there for three years. Again, I know this is a bad sign.

I finally get called into the managers office and they let me know that my position has been eliminated. They say that they want me to apply again for other positions because they think I'm talented. They give me an envelope full of papers and tell me my last pay check will be mailed to me. I say thank you and grab a box. I pack up my stuff and leave.

This is a company that has been around for 37 years and a company that hasn't lost anyone to even quitting for 4 years when I hired on. So I thought it was a pretty stable position.

So yea I didn't get any early notice or severance package, and I'm now unemployed.

I would appreciate if you know of any development positions available please me know.

Thanks for listening.

Nathan

So I get an e-mail yesterday that the entire company is having a mandatory meeting on Wednesday at 8:30 AM.

The office goes to the meeting and in the conference call they say that they have lost $4 million the first quarter and they need to restructure the company. They say there will be layoffs today and they will be done by noon.

I go back to my desk knowing that I am a prime candidate considering I have worked there less than a year. About a half hour later another developer is boxing up his stuff. He has been there for three years. Again, I know this is a bad sign.

I finally get called into the managers office and they let me know that my position has been eliminated. They say that they want me to apply again for other positions because they think I'm talented. They give me an envelope full of papers and tell me my last pay check will be mailed to me. I say thank you and grab a box. I pack up my stuff and leave.

This is a company that has been around for 37 years and a company that hasn't lost anyone to even quitting for 4 years when I hired on. So I thought it was a pretty stable position.

So yea I didn't get any early notice or severance package, and I'm now unemployed.

I would appreciate if you know of any development positions available please me know.

Thanks for listening.

Nathan

who did u work 4

Sorry to hear Nathan I was laid off since Feb 20th and I start my new job on the 8th so I know how you feel. That's bullshit that you got no severance or anything, isn't that against the law? I'd look into that if I were you and make sure you get paid for your vacation time your entitled to it.