Wax life expectancy

mmrmnhrm

Had Andy do a detail on my car just about a month ago, and while washing it today, I noticed that in quite a number of spots, even though he used the carnauba paste on it, much of the water just kind of sat there in a haze, while in the one area where I had stripped it off to work on a pair of paint chips, then rewaxed, it was beading up real tight. Is this normal for a car that doesn't have a garage and spends its days in an open parking lot, or do I need to be adding extra coats?

Depends on what you wash the car with. I put on Zaino in the Spring of last year (two coats). I ONLY used the Zaino wash last summer. Come November, it was STILL beading up. I was told by someone (maybe it was Zaino) that if I used something other than the Zaino wash, it would start to strip the wax. I used something else a few years back when using the Z and yes, it started stripping the wax after a month or so.

I just put another coat on about a month ago. It should last at least until Fall. Then I might do it again.

It also makes a difference if your car is parked outside all the time or not. Mine's in the garage every time I come home. And when I work, it's under the garage too.

Chris,

I think that what you're seeing is the traits of the Pinnacle Soveran. Soveran has properties that will sheet water rather than cause tight beads as many other products will. As stated earlier beading isn't necessarily an indicator of protection on the surface for all products.

That said, on a car that's outside a good bit of it's life caranuba products are best re-applied every 6-8 weeks.

If you have any concerns at all with my work please call me and I'll make things right.

Andy 614-747-0002

No worries over the work, Andy. Just took me by surprise when I saw the difference between the Pinnacle and Meguiar areas, especially since every other wax I've seen did the bead thing, and both waxes had carnauba in them. Since my car does spend its entire life outside, hopefully we'll have a nice cloudy day where I can do another wash/wax just before the annual family trek to PA over memorial weekend. That would be right around the 6-8 week time slot :)

Guest 78novaman

I usually only wax twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall. In between, when I wash the g/f's car or my truck I use quick detailer to restore the shine & apply a bit of wax. I also always use Meguires disolvable soap sheets which don't strip the wax off.

I've had good luck with the Meguires Gold Class paste. This last time I used Meguires Next Generation synthetic and it is a whole lot better in shine, but I can't comment on how long it will last yet.

As you can tell, I'm a Meguires guy. I've used Mother's and Turtle Wax, but haven't been impressed by them.