A riddle for everyone

Mark1647545493

3 guys go to a hotel and want to split the cost of a room 3 ways. The room cost $30 for a night so the 3 guys pay $10 each and go to their room. The Clerk remembers that there’s a special on rooms that day and the fee is really only $25 per night so he sends the bell hop up to the room with 5 one dollar bills to refund the 3 guys. When the Bell Hop gets to the room he gives each guy a dollar back and keeps two dollars for himself as a tip.

So if each guy paid $10 and gets a $1 back that means each one of them paid $9 for the room. Well 3x9=27 and if the Bell Hop keeps $2 that only makes $29. Where did the last dollar go?

gergwheel's answer is correct.....

yea wtf, why is my answer wrong

http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.missing.dollar.html

Well, it helps to put the problem in the form of a simple algebraic equation. If you do this, you will find that there is no "other dollar", because we are no longer talking about a room charge of $30 - it is $25 instead. Each man paid $9, adding up to $27: subtract the $2 "tip" from this and you get $25. This is demonstrative of how what seems to be the obvious way of doing things can sometimes be very wrong, and that children need to be taught critical thinking skills. Grammar, spelling and punctuation are helpful as well.

Well don't I look like a retard! HAHAHAHAHA That's too funny!!! :D I knew I shouldn't have taken his (co-worker) word on it that this was the answer....

Use the most basic of logic...

The way it was told to me was that there was always $30... No missing dollar. The Hotel keeps $25 and the Bell Boy takes the $5 to the room.... end of story. It doesn't matter how he splits up the money when he gets to the room because he only took $5 up and the Hotel has their $25. The whole 9x3 thing is the part that gets your brain thinking too damn hard about it.

I guess they both could be the correct answer, but I like the one you found a little better.

This guy I got this from works in our Amsterdam office so he was probably sitting in a coffee shop smokin hash when he told it to me. ;)