axel nut problems

88lx5oh

so i bought a probe, and i am swapping the tranny out.

well i got my breaker bar out and a metal pole to use as more leverage braced the hob not to turn wiht a breaker bar between the lugs.

i got the passenger side off with ease.

i broke 2 24" 1/2" breaker bars on the driver side.

what the hell am i to do

What size is the hub nut? VW's have that issue on them(air cooled vw's) and they have a cool tool that is 36mm hex or 46mm hex that goes on the nut and has a 1/2" square hole for a breaker bar and a shoulder on either side to whack with a hammer. They cost $13.

http://www.800luvbugg.com/shop?frame=1.4681

Also International Parts store should have them. And Larrys Offroad in Dayton

Wow Just use a 1/2" drive rachet and a 3lb hammer if you don't have an impact wrench. The shock load of the hammer or an impact wrench alone is worth more than your 3 foot breaker bar.

Evan

The VW axle nuts and flywheel gland nuts that these are for have a torque spec of 250 ft lbs! Then factor in rust. Another thing to try is this..heat the nut up as hot as possible, even if you only have a propane torch, then immediately spray oil, prferrably motor oil from an oil can where the nut meets the stub threads. The heat will pull the oil into the threads and make it easier to loosen..in brazing this is called capillary action.

yeha i thought aobut the torch idea.. i will probbly be doing that.. going to exhcange my breaker bar yet again.. then buy the torch and see what happens

this is the only thing holding me back from dropping the tranny at this point.

speaking of which anyone know a place that rebuilds tranny's on the cheap??

CD4E ford tranny.

i was gonna go get one at u wrench it, but god knows if it will work, and thats alot of work to pul lone down there throw it in my car and than have to take it back out again if it dont work

ok well scratch my auto tranny .. im gonan junk it.. im gonan jsut doa amanual swap ive decided. i got a parts list and detailed instructions on what needs done.

but i stil lneed to get that axel nut off.

will heating it fuck the wheel bearings up??

the trans cant be totally out yet. i havent got the driver side axel out.

yeah i dont have $400 to drop on a compressor right now.

i do have a compressor coming, from back where i used to live. my step dad is giving me his old one, since he jsut buoght a new one.

slips between 1-2 and 2-d... and wont shift into OD at all.

by the way i got the other axel out.

i juse pulled the whole hub assembly off.

giving it to a friend to bust the axel nut off for me.

but the tranyn is ready to drop.

should be out tomorrow night.

The CD4E is a very bad auto tranny. The problem your having is a very common problem.

Common enough that a TSB should have been issued by now, but you know how american auto companies are about owning up to mistakes.

Damn just get a hammer and remove that axle nut.

Evan