Dad's Bike Safety Rule #13: Slow Start at Green Light

chrismindless

As my dad has been warning me since I was a kid and everyone else ... +1

Of the many rules I was taught about riding a bike on the street, one of the rules was to start off slowly at a green light ... it was never explained to me why you are supposed to do that until today.

Light turns green, Im on a one way street (4 lanes) and everyone starts to go. I could have hammered it right at the light and just took off like a jackass, but I didnt because thats not how I ride ... its daylight, about 1pm. Beautiful day out not a care in the world when suddenly as the light turns green and everyone at the line starts moving a car comes screaching through the intersection. Dumbass slides and stops roughly 8 feet past where my line of motion WOULD have been. Stupid guy puts car in reverse and backs up ...

now mind you, this was today. Right then and there Mari and I could of been smashed.

Truth be told, listen to your f-ing dad when he tells you something ... hes not blowing smoke!

thought id share, since the rule saved my life, i think I should pass it along. start off from a green light slowly ... i couldnt see over the white F250 to my right to see this guy running the red light.

As my dad has been warning me since I was a kid and everyone else ... +1

Of the many rules I was taught about riding a bike on the street, one of the rules was to start off slowly at a green light ... it was never explained to me why you are supposed to do that until today.

Light turns green, Im on a one way street (4 lanes) and everyone starts to go. I could have hammered it right at the light and just took off like a jackass, but I didnt because thats not how I ride ... its daylight, about 1pm. Beautiful day out not a care in the world when suddenly as the light turns green and everyone at the line starts moving a car comes screaching through the intersection. Dumbass slides and stops roughly 8 feet past where my line of motion WOULD have been. Stupid guy puts car in reverse and backs up ...

now mind you, this was today. Right then and there Mari and I could of been smashed.

Truth be told, listen to your f-ing dad when he tells you something ... hes not blowing smoke!

thought id share, since the rule saved my life, i think I should pass it along. start off from a green light slowly ... i couldnt see over the white F250 to my right to see this guy running the red light.

+1. I head check both directions at the light before I start moving. That gives you a second or two which is usually enough to let people blow the light, or put you on alert for someone who might slow down.

Haven't had anyone honk at me yet - probably because I'm on a motorcycle and therefore a 'social misfit'. Works for me. :finger: